Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Having low back pain. Diagnosed sciatica. Taking Loestrin. Guide

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12749 Questions
I have been having back pain in connection with periods for the last 2 1/2 years. Lower back, through pelvis into severe cramping. I've been to three doctors. One told me ovaries were fine. One (a GP) said it was arthritis settling into my lower back and my regular gynecologist gave me the "muscles around the pelvic area pulling and stretching... XXXXXXX speech. I recently had to go back to the doctor about sever back pain which turned out to be sciatica and am currently going to p.t. to treat that. That part of the back pain has gone away. However, I am still having the tailbone pain and the cramping. I am on Loestrin FE continuously as I have had irregular and heavy periods. I went one year with no periods and switched to a generic brand which my body did not like. Switched back to Loestrin and it took a while but my body settled back down and I did not have a period in January, February, or March. But come April, back pain returns (this was when I started P.T) and light bleeding for two weeks. No bleeding for about 4 days and now bleeding again with a large clot this morning. Back pain that is not the sciatica and cramping. I am at a loss as to what to do and who to see and what to ask. I am an active person and all this back pain and bleeding is hindering my activities. Please guide me. Oh, and I just had my annual exam and all was normal. I hadn't had any bleeding until after the exam so it was not an issue at the time of the exam.
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Since you are taking the contraceptive regularly, you are having anovulatory periods. These are not likely to cause the pain that you are having.
The heavy bleeding will also subside with the oral pills that you are taking. In case the bleeding is very heavy with clots then additional hormonal pills may be needed to control the bleeding. This you can get prescribed from your gynecologist.
For the persistent back pain and the pain in coccyx, it is best to consult an orthopedician and get an MRI scan of your lower back done for proper diagnosis. Oral pain killers in combination with potent muscle relaxants will help in providing relief.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor