question-icon

Having itchy rashes on buttocks, side of arms, side of legs and inner thighs. What is the cure?

Posted on Mon, 9 Dec 2013
Question: itchy rash on buttocks, side of arms, side of legs under the underwear region that resolved but remains as a small 3 inch circle rash at sacral base after my first case of moderate/severe jock itch in 40 years. I never get jock itch or rashes. Rash remains as small bumps like dots from a pencil tip only over sacral base, not vesicular. Also some remaining itch over buttocks but no rash there. Jock itch responded well to tinactin/lotrimin but there is still red discoloration on inside thigh where the jock itch was located.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks dot the query. This type of discoloration is called as post inflammatory hyper pigmentation. You can use a mild exfoliating agent like 1% glycolic acid cream. Following should be the procedure to apply it. 1.wash the affected area with soap and water and dry it. 2. Apply the cream and keep for 2 hours. Do not apply on scrotum. 3. Wash after 2 hours and apply a moisturizing cream. This has to be done daily in night. you will get a good response in 1 month. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you.
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar (2 days later)
what about the rash over my sacral base? It is itchy and a small patch of 30 little bumps in a 1"round circle. It is not too red but is about the same level as my underwear band.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar (15 hours later)
Brief Answer: Details below Detailed Answer: Hello, The round patch must be residual fungal infection. You need to apply anti fungal cream in that area. Please apply the cream on the patch as well as around 1 cm surrounding also. This will prevent further extension of the patch. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you
Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist