Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

Having itching around vaginal area. Is this due to infection? What is the cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1560 Questions
my wife is aged 29 years. from past 15-20 days she is having itching surrounding her vagina. sometimes it is unbearable for her. Is it any kind of infection? we are also planning for a second child. what tests required to know and cure this symptom..? what medicines she should take to cure the itching .She is not having any problem while urinating and also not having frequent urination
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX From the description of your symptoms, it seems that your wife is having yeast infection. Yeast is considered normal flora but it may overgrow in some conditions. Though there is a possibility (remote) of another type of infection. The tests that can be used to diagnose will be Pap smear, Urine microscopy. A yeast infection should not affect pregnancy or fetus. But if it is another type of infection, then pregnancy should be planned after Since yeast is usually caused due to some reduction in immunity, I will also recommend blood tests to rule out common conditions that can cause low immunity. The blood tests include hemogram, fasting blood sugar, thyroid profile, etc. Blood tests for serology of other infections should be done after the above tests are negative. For now you can try Candistat cream (contains miconazole - a topical antifungal). It should relieve itching. Some lifestyle measures also help like drinking pure water, taking fruits and vegetables 4 - 5 times a day, wearing cotton undergarments, avoiding tight undergarments, avoiding unnecessary medications especially antibiotics, etc. Let me know if I can assist you further. Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor