Having grainy stool and gurgling in stomach. Taking antibiotic for bronchitis. Any suggestion?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am having a loud gurgling in my stomach. It started this past thursday night, also have grainy stools.
no cramps, stomach pains or stomach problems at all. No lost of appitite. Currently being treated for
bronchitis with an antibiotic cefditoren 400mg. No fever and actual great.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 21 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such gurgling symptom can be caused by air swallowing due to chewing gum, smoking, carbonate drinks, fast eating, wearing loose dentures. It can be also caused by increased gas production by intestines bacteria. According to your current antibiotics therapy, this can be the main reason of such gurgling and grainy stools. Antibiotics do impede natural intestine bacteria which protect us from pathologic bacterias. It result with some new, pathologic bacteria grow in the intestines. That is why it is always advised to use probiotics along with antibiotics. And it should work for you as well.
If no improvement after probiotics and/or you will notice any blood in stool, mucus in stool, start having constipations or diarrheas, weight lost colonoscopy should be done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 21 minutes later
how many probiotics should i take a day? should i still take the antibiotic? How long after taking my first probiotic should i see improvement?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 minutes later
Hello!

Probiotic should be taken 3 times a day. Please note that there should be at least 15 minutes between antibiotic and probiotic (in such order). Do not stop antibiotic therapy as bronchitis treatment should be as prescribed by your doctor. You should see an improvement in a 3-5 days.

Regards.