Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Having ear infection. Put hydrogen peroxide in ears and sore to touch. What should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2610 Questions
Hi Dr. last night I put hydrogen peroxide in my ears because they were itchy and aching. I woke up this morning and the pain has gotten worse. I've scratched at my ears and found they are too sore for me to mess with without hurting worse. I have been having trouble with my ears for a while now, ever since I got an ear infection back in early April. What should I do?
Posted Wed, 22 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided.
Hydrogen peroxide can be used to clean the infection in the ear.
Some ear infections will safely clear up on their own without antibiotics. Often, treating the pain and allowing the body time to heal itself is all that is needed: Apply a warm cloth or warm water bottle to the affected ear. Use over-the-counter pain relief drops for ears, or ask the doctor about prescription ear drops to relieve pain. Take over-the-counter medications for pain or fever, such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen.
I advice you to follow the conservative approach first and if it fails i advice you to see ENT specialist for examination and for exact diagnosis.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor