Having dull irritation and soreness feeling in lungs. Recovered from fever. What is the reason?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Lung Cancer
Question: having dull irritation dull soreness feeling in lungs. i also have XXXXXXX mucus which is turning lighter in color. just recovered from fever but not one hundred percent yet. After coughing and spitting mucus it feels that way.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The fact that you have a XXXXXXX expectorant may indicate that the bronchial airways in the lungs are infected/inflammed. This can occur as a result of bacterial or viral infection- viral is more common.
Viral infections can be associated with fever as well.
The reason for the soreness and irritation in the lungs is because the airways are inflammed as a result of the infection. The discomfort would be worse after coughing because this would place stress on the airways.
A cough can potentially last up to 6 weeks in the case of these infections.

Since the cough is productive you can try to use a mucolytic to help in the removal of the mucus from your chest.
You should also consider drinking alot of fluids because this would also help to decrease the thickness of the sputum.
If the discomfort is significant then you may want to try paracetamol to reduce the intensity of the pain.

I hope this helps. feel free to ask any other questions