What causes cough, sneezing, headache, vomiting and nasal bleeding?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My sister since Friday has been coughing,sneezing,headache and since last night now throwing up and nose bleeds. Should I take her to an urgent care facility?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Influenza infection

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am,
I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns..

it seems that you have caught influenza virus infection . I would recommend that you take an antihistaminic as cetrizine once daily before going to bed for the sneezing and to decrease the phelgm.. For the cough you should takes cough suppressant as dextromethorphan once daily before going to bed and a mucolytic as Mucinex . Also try to drink plenty of warm fluids to prevent the phelgm from getting thick .. As for the vomiting , this can be caused by stomach upset due to postnatal discharge being swallowed , so can be prevented by metochlopromide three times daily..

The nose bleeds are probably due to rupture of small capillaries due to inflammation, this should not be serious and shall resolve on its own when the flu gets better .

I hope you find this helpful . if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj