Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
125 Doctors are Online

Having difficult intercourse. Had scalloped hymenal edge or tags. Don't have vaginismus. Due to age?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 816 Questions
Hi, I am a RN. I had non painful intercourse with my previous husband for 22 years. But now I think I have a tight hymenal ring; that is exactly what it feels like. I have not had intercourse for 6 years and now my fiance of 4 years "cannot get in." Our libidio is high and his erection full and hard. I used to have a scalloped hymenal edge or tags but no more. The ring feels so hard and fibrous. I wish a doctor could just clip the ring to open it up. I know I don't have vaginismus. This is not psychological problem but a problem of "the peg is too big for the hole." I have plenty of natural lubrication from foreplay and we use astroglide as well. It is very frustrating. I had 2 c/sections and no vaginal births. My fiance's penis is much larger than that of my previous husband. I am 62 and he is 58 and we are so blessed to have fallen deeply in love. What do you suggest? Because of our age and years of frustration we want a quick solution. Self help for vaginismus seems like a long, tedious program. So please don't advise that. Thanks a lot for listening. from Linda
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
surgery and local estrogen will be helpful

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
Congratulation for finding a new loving relationship.
You have been sexually inactive for long and towards this age sex hormone support is also lost so the passage has got abnormally narrow.
May be some intercurrent inflammation and the hardwned hymenal tags have added to the problem significantly.
I will like you to be examined by a local gynecologist and I think removing/slitting the fibrosed vaginal tissue at the orifice and application of local estrogen gel in the vagina will restore the functionality satisfactorily.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having difficult intercourse. Had scalloped hymenal edge or tags. Don't have vaginismus. Due to age? 2 days later
thank you for your advice. I think it is good and I will definitely follow it. I was taking bioidentical estrogen and testosterone(as a gel rubbed into inner aspect of arm) and progesterone orally and this seemed to help. but I stopped because of expense to see doctor (did not take my insurance) and the tightness problem seemed to worsen.

What do you think of bioidentical hormone replacement? I also have osteopenia with a t score on head of femur of -1.7 but the spine is OK. do you have anything specific to add for this besides weightbearing and calcium supplementation. what is the best form of Calcium? I have only one risk factor - caucasian and slight frame.

thank you for your help


Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 2 days later
Brief Answer:
options you can choose

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Hormonal replacement therapy is beneficial but prolonged use can increase risk of breast carcinoma.
Senile vaginitis at age of 62 is quite common & local application of oestrogen is treatment of choice for that.
However if you are getting frequent problem during intercourse you can use simple lubricating agent like Xylocaine gelly or k-y gelly.
For osteopenia you should use calcium like calcium carbonate along with vitamin-D supplement.
I hope your query has been answered.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor