Have yeast infection and developed itchy clitoris. On medication for UTI. What is the problem?

Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: I have been with my boyfriend for 10 months. I have not had sex with anyone else for almost a year. I started having issues about 6 weeks after we had sex for the first time. I was having frequent yeast infections and baterial vaginosis for almost 9 months. I went to an OB/GYN and tested for clamitia and ghonerrea. They both came back negative. I have now developed an itchy clitoris or urethra. I'm sure where the itch starts exactly but it is definitely furher forward then a yeast infection usually is. I went to the doctor and was prescribed anit-biotics for 14 days for a symptoms but not completely take them away. Now, it's been over a month since then, my symptoms have worsened. My boyfriend is a type one diabetic and has not seen a doctor in several years. I am horribly uncomfortable and am unable to have sex or am uncomfortable during sex and then very uncomfortable for many days after. Can you tell me where I can start to find what my issue is? I've consulted an OB/GYN, Family Doctor and a Family Nurse Practitioner.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 4 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Given the fact that you have a history of frequent yeast infections (and BV) AND were also given antibiotics, the MOST LIKELY explanation is a vulvar yeast infection. It can affect any area on your bottom, including the area that you are describing. Also, given the recent sexual activity, consider that if you are using condoms, you could be having a reaction to the latex that is used to make them.

Here is what I would recommend:
1. Call your doctor for a prescription for diflucan 150mg now and every 3 days for at least 4 doses
2. If you are on a low dose birth control pill, consider asking for a higher dose pill as the lower estrogen in the low dose pills might be putting you at risk for recurrent infections
3. Take a break from intercourse until this is resolved

Please let me know if this helps and good luck!
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Is there a way to test for Vulvar Yeast Infection? Do you think that my boyfriend's diabetes may have any effect on my chronic infections?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 14 hours later
The best ways to approach this are:
1. Do a culture of the skin on the outside and around the urethra.
2. OR just treat you with diflucan and see if things get better with treatment, regardless of whether a culture was done.

And no, his diagnosis of diabetes is not relevant to your current problem. Review this answer and my prior recommendations and lets know if you have more questions!
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 56 minutes later
The reason I ask about my boyfriend's condition is because I have never had issues before and he has issues with foot fungi and other bacterial/fungus issues. These are not on his genitalia, however. And my activities have remained the same and yet I am having issues. I was informally informed (not in an office/friend of a friend) by a GYN that if he has diabetes and it is not being treated properly that he will naturally have higher fungus levels. She also stated that if this is correct, then his condition would affect mine. The reason that I have asked you is I have researched to the best of my abilities of what she has said and have not found sufficient evidence that his fungus or bacteria would really affect mine. I don't want to necessarily blame or point to my boyfriend as the issue but I have been treated for yeast infections and bacterial infections for almost 10 months when I've never had these issues in the past and have not seen full recovery. It seems to me that my only common variable is him and his possible high fungus or bacterial count due to diabetes. I'm very sorry for asking this again but is there any way that his condition could be causing my chronic infections? If not, can you please give me a brief explanation as to why?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 hours later
Here is my response:

1. The CDC does not consider yeast infections (or BV) sexually transmissable
2. That being said, perhaps there is still merit to your line of thinking
3. If he IS causing the problem, I would assume that there would be a difference if he used a condom or not - try using a condom for a while (if you don't) and see if this makes a difference
4. If you ARE using a condom, then consider birth control pills and THEN getting rid of the condoms (because I had supposed you might be reacting to them)

I guess it might be helpful if you clarify if you are using condoms or not, and are you on birth control?