Have wart on face. Used salicylic acid and triple antibiotic cream. Proper cure?

Dr. Stephen Christensen

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I had a wart on my face near my nose. I used salasylic a cid to remove it. I actually had like 4. One of them is now a hole in my face that will not heal. It does not hurt. It scabs over but does not close. I have tried triple antibotic cream, hydrogen peroxide, and alcohol. what else can iI try? I have an appointment with a dermatologisrt on Dec 19th. The hole is about 1/4 inch in diameter, although it is not really round.
Answered by Dr. Stephen Christensen 7 hours later
Hello. I'm Dr. Christensen.

I'm sorry you're having trouble with this issue.

When lesions don't heal, it's concerning. Sometimes this could be an indication that they're either infected or turning cancerous.

Although you've tried an antibiotic cream, if your wart is colonized by bacteria that are resistant to the medication (s) in the cream, they will continue to multiply in the wound and prevent it from healing. Alternatively, if one or more of the warts was actually a skin cancer), irritating it with salicylic acid may have unroofed it, and now it simply won't heal because the cells overlying this site are disorganized. (By the way, hydrogen peroxide and alcohol are both toxic to healthy skin cells, so repeated use of these agents could prolong healing, too.)

Until you see your dermatologist, I suggest you try an ointment containing calendula, borage, or comfrey. These preparations can be purchased at most health-food or supplement stores. Keep in mind that they all contain plant extracts, so if you develop irritation or a rash, discontinue their use.

Another option is to simply put a dab of petrolatum (Vaseline) on the wart every day and cover it with a small Band-Aid.

I hope that helps, and I hope things go well with the dermatologist. I'm available if you have additional questions or concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad