Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Have symptoms of Crohn's diease. What kind of test should be done to confirm?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 6182 Questions
I have many symptoms of Crohn's diease. What kind of test do I need to find out if I do
have Crohn's diease?
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am sorry to hear that you have so many symptoms suggestive of Chron's disease. The following are very helpful in determining whether you have this disease or not.

1. Interrogation and physical examination provides tons of vital information and what types of test we need to do if the suspicion of this disease is high. This is because symptoms of Chron's disease are also present in many other conditions that cause chronic diarrhoea.

2. If the suspicion is high, then we shall do tests that look at the bowel. These are imagery tests and include colonoscopy(looking into the colon with a light source through a magnifier), barium enema( Injecting a substance that can light up in the intestines through the anus and images are taken) , capsule endoscopy(swallow a small camera in the form of a capsule that takes images and send to a computer monitor), small bowel imaging( you swallow a product that can light up in the intestines and serial images are taken), MRI, CT scan, etc to confirm the diagnosis. Also, fecal occult blood is often done. A blood exam may be asked just to check if you have anemia as it is common in patients with Chron's disease.

A client does not need all of these tests. Which you start with depends on the clues obtained from interrogation and physical exam. Also, it depends on its availability in your area.

My suggestion would be that you get consulted and your doctor will plan and follow up with these investigations depending on his suspicion of the disease. The best specialist to consult would be a gastroenterologist.

I hope this addresses your query fully and provides ample information for you to act on. If you have some more questions related to this query, please ask me and I will happily address them. I wish you the best of health.
Dr. Ditah, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor