Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Have symptoms of BPH. Need prescription for Avodart

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 561 Questions
I have kind of a special situation...I'm an American living in Japan long term and have symptoms
of BPH. I consulted my local M.D. here about it and unfortunately the Japanese medicines
he gave me for it produced no results. He suggested that I try to get Avodart for it in the States and have it
sent here. If I can, my insurance company should cover it, as well. So my question is, can I get a prescription from one of your M.D.'s that can be forwarded to a pharmacy which could then fill and send it to me here? This is one of the inconveniences of living abroad and I hope you'll be able to help me with it. Thanks in Advance.. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 27 minutes later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
Unfortunately no pharmacist will give you medication on prescription we provide. Also before prescribing anything for BPH few things needs t9 be evaluated like severity of symptoms, exacts nature of symptoms and size and volume of prostate evaluated by ultrasonography.
I will advise rather than consulting MD , you need to consult board certified surgeon because surgeons are experts in dealing the prostate problem. You may need either medical treatment or surgical treatment depending on size and pressure symptoms of prostate.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern, please let me know.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have symptoms of BPH. Need prescription for Avodart 4 minutes later
I'd like to ask another doctor about this, please. I already have seen my local doctor here in Tokyo and he suggested I get a prescription from a doctor as I said. I have several symptoms of a benign, enlarged prostate, surgery is not needed.
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 3 hours later

I do not think there are any M.D physicians who can write a prescription to their pharmacy, available on this forum. I spoke to a few M.D physician's on this forum and all (including me) are of an opinion that writing a prescription is not ethical without a clinical examination.

I apologize for not being to help you. Online prescription is both not ethical and legal.

That being said, BPH is treated with alpha blockers and 5-alpha reductase inhibitors. The generic drugs of these classes remain the same through the world. I am sure a qualified urologist (even at Japan) would be prescribing these drugs routinely there. You should consider consulting a competent urologist and you will be able to get your needs fulfilled.

Hope this information helps you.

Best Wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have symptoms of BPH. Need prescription for Avodart 3 hours later
I'm sorry, I asked you to refer me to another doctor which you didn't do and you are a radiologist. You don't seem to understand something... I've already been examined here by a doctor. It is simply a matter that Avodart has not been introduced to the Japanese market yet. I don't know why you say online prescription is both not ethical and legal? The medical profession over here in certain areas is not as advanced as in the U.S. And even if I did see a doctor in the States all they are going to do for my condition is to give me a PSA test check the size of my prostate gland, and ask questions...the first two have already been done here and I'll be more than happy to answer any questions.
If you are not going to help me, I don't see why I should have to pay for just telling me you can't prescribe me this medicine...
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 1 hour later
Hi, welcome back.
Sorry to say but I immediately referred your query to another specialist. You can notice that another answer was by another specialist. I and other specialist explained our difficulties.

You can write to customer care support regarding that.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor