Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Have swollen submandibular gland with post nasal drip. Hurts to swallow. Safe remedy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14826 Questions
Hi I have a swollen submandibular gland on right side with post nasal drip. Hurts to swallow
Posted Sun, 24 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Lymph nodes are responsible for drainage and fighting infections in different parts of the body. The submandibular nodes are located under the mandibular just outside the submandibular glands.
These nodes enlarge as a result of inflammation/infection in different parts of the face and neck , including the sinuses.When the stimuli resolves or is treated then the swelling slowing resolves , it may take up 4 weeks in some cases for complete resolution.
The post nasal drip is due to rhinosinusitis (inflammation involving the nasal passages and sinuses).

Postnasal drip can cause pain in the throat.

Treatment involves the use of nasal sprays such as nasonex ,flonase or rhinocort . In addition the use of antihistamines and decongestants would be helpful. (the decongestant is to be used if you also have nasal congestion or facial pain which is usually due to congestion of the sinuses).
An anti-inflammatory pain killer would also help you. This would be aspirin/cataflam/ibuprofen/voltaren.
It is also important to control any allergens, if possible, if you are unsure what is stimulating the post nasal drip, then you may want to consider asking your doctor
for an allergy test.This can be a blood test or skin prick testing.

If the pain and post nasal drip continues despite the above then you can consider visiting your doctor for an assessment.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor