Have spots in throat. What could it be?

Dr. Ravinder Sharma

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have these spots in my throat what are they ? what could cause them?
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 1 hour later
Hi
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon On the basis of the information provided it appears that it could be
1. Chronic granular pharyngitis - allergic
2. Oropharyngeal thrush/candidiasis
3. Acute Pharyngitis
However it would be appropriate if you provide me some more information about the symptoms (pain in throat, irritation in throat, difficulty in swallowing, change in voice, cough etc. Then any history of diabetes, hospitalization, medications ) you are suffering from
I look forward for your response

with regards
Ravinder Sharma
Follow up: Dr. Ravinder Sharma 24 minutes later
I'm not suffering from any thing no pain nothing but my tongue seems to be slightly white like coated white.
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 24 minutes later
Thanks for a follow up query
The appearance of pharynx and tongue is suggestive of allergic pharyngitis. White coated tongue can be because of oral thrush. It refers to the fungal infection of the oral cavity.Coated tongue is common in diabetics , in cases with poor oral hygiene and in patients on antibiotic therapy
If there are no significant symptoms I would advise you to start warm saline gargles and a multivitamin preparation. Antiallergics will take care of the itching or foreign body sensation in throat(if it is there)
If there is any history of smoking It is advisable to stop smoking.
I hope this answers your concern. Feel free to contact me if you require more information about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma
Follow up: Dr. Ravinder Sharma 8 hours later
Thank you doctor !My friend not a doctor was googling different things on the Internet to figure out what it could be she said hpv or coxsackie is she incorrect ?
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 14 hours later
Thanks for the follow up query
On the basis of gross appearance and the clinical presentation we cannot comment on the causative organism in this case.
The cause (HPV or Coxsackie or anything else) of this can only be established by biochemical tests. They are requested if the clinical presentation suggests the possibility of this diagnosis.
I hope this answers your query

with warm regards
Ravinder Sharma
Follow up: Dr. Ravinder Sharma 8 minutes later
But in your opinion the clinical presentation doesnt suggest this diagnosis ?
Thanks for a follow up query
The opinions can be variable. The objectivity in the diagnosis is possible when there is some specific finding seen of gross appearance which is associated with a disease.

When I say it as acute or chronic granular pharyngitis it refers to the clinical diagnosis (without lab reports) and there are many causative organisms which can cause acute or chronic granular pharyngitis. Coxsackie and HPV are two such causative organisms. There is no specific findings on gross appearance in the photograph provided which suggests this diagnosis so I cannot say whether it is because of this or some other organism. I hope this answers your query. Feel free to contact me if your require more information about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma

Follow up: Dr. Ravinder Sharma 23 hours later
Do you think the spots in my throat and white tongue are related ? Also when I wake up my nose feels stuffy could that be related ?
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 22 minutes later
Hi
Thanks for the follow up query
Usually infection in throat is associated with poor oral hygiene/ coated tongue

Stuffy nose may be related with spots in the throat. Examination of nose and a X XXXXXXX PNS OM view will further explain the association (if any). If the examination and sinus x XXXXXXX show some finding (chronic sinusitis, acute rhinosinusitis, acute sinusitis or allergic rhinitis)

I feel a ENT examination will help you in the correct diagnosis.

with regards
Ravinder Sharma