Owl Image

Have sore throat and getting burning sensation on the side of throat. What is going on?

ENT Specialist
Question
My throat has been sore for three day's now. I can swallow fine, but when I turn my head left and swallow, I have an burning feeling in my right side of throat and little loss of breath! I have no fever or aches.

Thanks, XXXXXXX
Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Get your throat examined by an ENT Specialist and get a Videolaryngosocpy done since you have breathlessness. A throat swab may be sent for examination.

2. Since you have no fever and aches, with a burning sensation the possibility of a dry throat due to allergy,a Post Nasal Drip (PND) or acid reflux has to be ruled out.

3. If the above investigations are normal, there is no cause for worry. However you may need supportive medication such as anti-allergics, anti-inflammatory and medicated mouth gargles such as Betadine or Chlorhexidine ( Peridex / Periogard).

4. You may share the Videolaryngoscopy images here for further advice.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.