Have sore muscles around belly button. Ultrasound normal. What am I suffering from?

Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Have sore/tender muscles around both sides of belly button, close to belly button that only hurts when pressed on. I have had a normal upper gi w/ barium and small bowel. I also had a normal ultrasound of spleen, liver, gallbladder, and pancreas however HIDA scan last yr showed 22% ejection fraction of gallbladder. I do not have gb attacks just mild upper right quadrant pain. Also having stomach gurging when laying down but no regurgitation. Bowel movements are normal. Also have some gas pressure in upper abdoment under sternum occasionally at night. I am getting ready to do a stool test for Hpylori. Any ideas what the belly button pain would be? Could it be muscular or something internal? Should I have stomach ultrasound or endoscopy?
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 16 hours later
Hi

Thanks for posting your query

The information you have provided is suggestive of :

1] Pain on both sides of belly button - If superficial is muscular - if XXXXXXX could be collitis

2] You already have had a normal ultrasound - so why do you want to get it repeated ?

3] There are signs suggestive of Gastritis - so instead I would suggest you opt for an upper GI Endoscopy & a Stool report

Hope this helps
Do get back in case of concern
Wishing you a healthy life ahead

Follow up: Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 9 minutes later
I would not be repeating the ultrasound I did a second one would be on the stomach. The one I just got was on Pancreas, liver, speen, gallbladder, and kidneys but did not show stomach or intestines. What is the typical treatment if it is gastritis or collitis? Is an upper GI painful or dangerous?
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 24 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for writing back

Stomach and Intestine are better visualised on a Barium meal rather than an ultrasound

Get the Endoscopy and stool report done and I will guide you accordingly

No upper GI is neither painful nor XXXXXXX

Hope this clears your doubts
Wishing you a healthy life ahead
Follow up: Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 10 minutes later
Oops... I meant is the endoscopy painful or dangerous? What are the risks? I did not mean the barium upper GI as I already had one of those. What can the endoscopy show that the upper gi hasnt ruled out already?

Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 34 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for writing back again

There are apparently no risks to endoscopy in safe hands

If you have had a barium done, just get the report and upload it , get the stool report for a routine examination done and I will suggest you the management

Do write back with the reports
Wishing you a speedy recovery
Follow up: Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 8 minutes later
ok thank you. I dont need to upload upper gi w/ barium and small bowel follow through b/c it is very brief and it just said unremarkable/normal findings. Fluoroscopic time is 2.5 mins. Scout film: Bowel gas pattern nonobstructive. Visualized lung bases clear. Unobstructed passage of barium from the oropharynx to the stomach. Distal esophagus is unremarkable. Gastric mucosa unremarkable in appearance. No gastric mass or ulcer disease. Constrast passes freely from stomach into duodenum. Duodenal bulb distends and contracts in normal fashion. No duodenal bulb ulcer. Remaining portion of the duodenum is unremarkable in appearance.

Small bowel follow through: overhead and spot images of the small bowel obtained. Small bowel transit time approx 45 mins. The jejunal and ileal mucosal patterns are within normals. There is no small bowel dilation, stricture, wall, or fold thickening. The terminal ileum is unremarkable in appearance.

I also had a CT scan a year and a half ago on abdomen that was normal.

I will let you know results of the stool test when I get it back in 48 hrs.

Thx
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later
Hi

Barium report appears normal

Will wait for the reports and guide you for the management

Get Well Soon