Have sore and peeling skin on corner of mouth. What could be causing this?

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Dry Skin
Question: The corners of my lips were peeling and very sore now they are turning white why
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Your symptoms seem to be due to a condition called "angular cheilitis" also known as "angular stomatitis". This is mostly caused due to nutritional deficiencies, especially due to deficiency of a particular vitamin B2 (Riboflavin). Sometimes iron or zinc deficiency can also cause this condition. The typical symptoms are peeling, cracking and soreness of the corners of the lips.

I would suggest the following remedial measures:

- You should take vitamin supplements, preferably with B-complex vitamins and Zinc (e.g. Becozinc, Zincovit, etc.) daily, for a while.

- It's better to have a hemoglobin test done to check for an iron deficiency anemia.

- You can apply a topical ointment such as Zytee gel or an antibiotic ointment for the soreness and peeling.

- Appropriate dietary modifications are essential, to include large portions of salads and veggies as well as iron-rich foods.

- Avoid picking on or pulling out the peeling skin as it can cause more irritation and worsening.

If you follow these suggestions, your lesions should gradually subside in about one to two weeks.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar