Are recurrent canker sores a sign of HIV that could be contracted through protected intercourse 2 years ago?

Posted on Thu, 28 Mar 2019 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I had a protected sexual encounter with a prostitute and after 05 months checked for HIV via TRIDOT method which was non-reactive. The act of sex happened almost two and half years ago and no more further testing.
!)Do i need to take more HIV tests?
2)I am getting canker sores for the last two-years
3)How accurate is TRI-DOT after 05 months?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You have reliably ruled out HIV

Detailed Answer:

Even though protected sex is adequate protection against transmission of HIV, still you have convincingly ruled out HIV.

TRIDOT test is a third generation antibody screening test which is most accurate at 12 weeks (window period) and beyond. Therefore, you don't need any more HIV screening tests.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Kakkar S.
Dermatologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 10 minutes later
I am getting canker sores after one month of intercourse and still persists for the last 2 years. It also spread to my girlfriend.
Confused whether it is an STD?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Canker sores are not infectious

Detailed Answer:

Canker sores are not infectious and neither is it an STD. Since both you and your girlfriend have canker sores, it may be that a particular type of toothpaste may be causing it. Try changing it. Also take a B Complex vitamin supplement once daily.

Dr. Kakkar S.
Dermatologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 35 minutes later
Also,I would like to mention some details not mentioned earlier:-
1)the tongue taste buds sometimes becomes sharp and painful which is happening only after the sexual act.
2)Do i have to taste for any other STD's
3)Are canker sores prone to HIV patients?
4)I have no other symptoms for the last 2 and 1/2 year except my tongue and canker sores
5)
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding canker sores

Detailed Answer:

Pain and inflammation of oral mucosa i.e stomatitis is also a prodrome of canker sores. Though canker sores are more common in HIV patients, they are not a specific sign or symptom of HIV. They are otherwise very common among the general population.

Protected sex is safe as far as the risk of HIV is concerned and moreover, your screening test for HIV is negative therefore there is no question of HIV infection.

I don't think there is a need to test for any other STD. You may try changing your toothpaste and take a B Complex vitamin supplement for a few days.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Kakkar S.
Dermatologist
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist