Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Have sneezing problen. Temporary relief from furamist az. Is there any permanent solution?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1984
Answered : 1975 Questions
My wife who is 32 yrs old has severe early morning sneezes. It has been so for more than a year now. She used 'Furamist AZ' for one week, during which there was absolutely no sneezing problem and then after stopping it, sneezes started again. This was almost 8 months back and then we just ignored it thinking that it we cured as time goes. But now that we realized it is not going to cure itself, we are desperately looking for a solution to this. Whenever she experiences cold humid conditions, her problem aggravates. Please provide some effective medication for this.
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 55 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

I have gone through clinical history of your wife, as you said that she is having bouts of sneezing in morning hours but she becomes comfortable by the use of Furamist AZ nasal spray.This indicates that your wife is probably suffering from allergic rhinitis.

As far as treatment of allergic rhinitis is concern it depends on two facts-

(1) If possible try to identify the allergen (things which aggravates the problem) and once allergen is identified try to avoid it's contact if possible.

(2) If it is not possible to identify the allergen by it's own than go for skin test. By this test one can find out the allergen and than after desensitization should be done by suitable vaccine.

Thus in this way she can be treated for her allergic problem. If unfortunately this method fails then use of antiallergics will be necessary for longer duration.

Hope I answered your query.

Please do let me know if there are any other concerns.

With regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have sneezing problen. Temporary relief from furamist az. Is there any permanent solution? 42 minutes later

Thanks for that detailed reply. Going by your point 1, we could clearly identify two things that aggravate her problem.

1. Cold air
2. Cold water. The moment she touches cold water in the morning, sneezes start.

Apart from these, there are absolutely nothing else.

I would really appreciate if a medication is prescribed for her after having identified these.

Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 6 hours later
Thanks for rewriting to us.


If your wife is allergic to cold water and cold air then she should avoid these two things but this is practically not possible. Therefore as a preventive measure she should use scarf to cover her scalp and nostril to prevent direct entry of cold air to nostrils. Similarly try to avoid cold water as much as possible to cut down the episodes of allergic attack. There is no medicine to cure allergy permanently, by the use of medicine, we can only provide temporary relief from symptoms.

I think the spray she is using is best for this case but if you want some long acting effect of medicine than you can try-

(1) Injection histaglobulin s/c at weekly interval for three weeks.
(2) Injection depomedrol s/m over inferior and middle turbinate intranasaly.

These injections are given by ENT specialist only. If it becomes successful then one can get relief for one or two years, but this treatment also has failure some time in that case again patient is switch over to steroidal nasal spray as she is using.

Therefore considering all plus and minus points of these injectible treatments my suggestion is as it is not possible to avoid allergen in her case so please continue same spray because this is having least side effects.

With Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor