Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Have small testicles. Should I be concerned?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 2190 Questions
Hi, I have what I think are smaller than average testicles that sit relitively high underneath the penis. I never worried about this untill I heard some women talking about how this is distinguishable ("Not using up much space") this is through trousers, now I'm extremely uptight, feel exposed and paranoid when out public particularly when sitting down. Not pleasant, but I can't stop worrying. In your opinion, how distingushable are the testicles through normal fitting trousers? Any other advice welcome.
Posted Tue, 4 Dec 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I understand that you are quite concerned and distressed by the apparently smaller size of your testicles. Now, firstly, let me remind you that there can be a lot of normal variations in the size of genital organs from person to person. Secondly, it is important to understand that the size of the scrotum (i.e. the testicular sac) does not reflect the size of the testes. In other words, in some persons, the scrotal sac can be low and saggy, while in some others it can be firm and tighter - but the size of the testicles inside the sac is more or less the same.

To answer your specific question, usually the testicles are NOT clearly distinguishable through normally-fitting trousers and rather shouldn't be (because outlines of genitals being distinguishable is considered as an indecent form of dressing in most cultures / societies).

It is also important to understand that these mild variations of the scrotum / testicles does not have anything to do with your "manliness" or fertility or sexual functioning or sexual preformance. The concept that a man's "manliness" is displayed by his "protruding" genitals or "bulging" testicles is just a myth. So long as you have normal sexual feelings and are able to have an erection and experience sexual pleasure and orgasm normally, there is no need to be concerned about the size of your genitals or feel ashamed or embarrassed to go out in public. So, I would seriously advise you to stop worrying about this and build up your self- confidence. If you are unable to get rid of these worrying thoughts and are suffering from major social dysfunction because of your 'paranoid' ideas and anxious thoughts, then I would suggest that you seek professional help, by consulting a psychiatrist.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have small testicles. Should I be concerned? 39 minutes later
Thanks very much your kind and comprehensive reply. I am just concerned that because my testicles don't hang down between my legs, so much as sit almost on top of my thighs, there might be visible lack of definition in the crotch area where more common testicles might sit, i.e between my legs, giving an almost female crotch. What would be your take of that? As I say I was not concerned by this until I overheard a conversation leading me to believe that genitalia was distinguishable through cloths

I also.appreciate your concern as to my psychological well being, as you will see from my information I suffer from both severe alopecia and moderate cerebral palsy both of which, the former especially being relatively recent, are cosmetic flaws I occasionally struggle with and this just seemed like an added drawback visually. Generally speaking I am quite out going and sociable and it has been possible to continue you this externally at least, though this recent anxiety has made it difficult if not quite impossible.

Once again let me thank you for your time, sir.

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 12 hours later
Hello again,

I'm glad that my information was useful to you. I can understand what you are going through, especially with your other existing problems. I would commend you for being able to so far overcome these difficulties and maintain almost full functionality.

It appears that your scrotal sac may be more firm (than saggy) than others, causing your testicles to be more high-placed - thus the apparent lack of definition in the crotch area of your trousers. Socially, this doesn't actually make any difference in other people's perception of one's masculinity. The comments of one or two persons do not necessarily reflect the general social perception. So, though it may be true that some women would have passed a comment like that, I can assure you, as a psychiatrist who specializes in studying human psychology and sexuality, that this is not the general perception and people don't look down upon you because your genital outlines are not distinguishable through your clothes. Moreover, research on human psychology and sexual behaviour has shown time and again that genital size is not at all a major factor in male attractiveness.

If you are still not entirely convinced, you can try wearing loose underwear or underwear that can 'enhance definition'. You can also try wearing little loose trousers so that you will not feel excessively self-conscious whether people are noticing you or not.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have small testicles. Should I be concerned? 7 hours later
When you say 'apparent lack of definition' does that mean that in your opinion people with tight scrotums generally do have have a quite an apparent difference? Public visibility was really my main concern. I naturally sit with my legs closed any even before all of this.

Also I feel it would useful to point out that I was suffering some anxiety symptoms for a few weeks before this worry was ever brought to my attention, is it possible that this problem has become something specific for my more general anxiety to attach to, (no pun intended) blowing it out of all proportion?

I am reluctant to change my dress sense as I feel it would be in a sense giving in to what I suspect and you seem to be suggesting is a slightly irrational worry.

Thanks in advance for this last piece of help.
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 17 hours later
Hi again,

By 'apparent lack of definition', I didn't imply literally that the difference is quite apparent. Rather I used the phrase to mean that the difference may be 'apparent to you' (on other words that it may 'seem' to you that there is a lack of definition), but that fact is that to others these very minor difference don't hardly matter.

Regarding your anxiety symptoms, it is very likely that the anxiety which you have been experiencing recently could have precipitated this bout of specific anxiety regarding your physical appearance. I would suggest that you try relaxation techniques like XXXXXXX breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, yoga, etc. to help deal with your anxiety.

I had suggested the change of your dressing style only as a last resort, if you are unable to get rid of your worrying thoughts. It most definitely would be ideal if you could control these worrying thoughts and regain your self-confidence. One of the good ways to get rid of these worrying thoughts is to challenge and confront them, rather than giving in to them. These little irrational thoughts or worries gain ground only when you don't challenge, reason out and confront them . For example, when you get thoughts that people may be noticing your trousers, instead of withdrawing yourself into anxiety-mode, if you tell yourself, "These thoughts are actually not based on any substantial evidence"; "So, I am going to be my usual self and not feel awkward" and continue to be move around with confidence, then very soon these worrying thoughts will fizzle out.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a General Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor