Have red, itchy spots inside corner of eye and headache. What could be causing this?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a spot just below my right brow near the inside corner of eye that has become slightly raised, red, itchy and scaly, about size of dime. Accompanies a slight headahe...no clue what could be causing it,...no new soap or makeup. My dog is being treated for and has mrsi so have concern about that. Have had this for about a month. Had a shingles vaccination. Looks a bit unsightly and the slight headache and itchiness is a bothet.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 6 hours later

I read your query with diligence; I can understand your concerns and I shall try and provide with useful information to help you.

1. I do not think the spot under the eye brow has any links to your dog’s infection. Staphylococcal skin injections have much more severe and progressive presentations than just a dime sized rash.

2. Headache is probably an incidental event. Perhaps the worry may have resulted in a tension type headache. Besides that, headache secondary to infections is accompanied by prodromal symptoms including fever, body aches, nausea and vomiting. You haven’t reported any such associated complaints. Tylenol pain relief taken twice a day for couple of days should take care of the pain.

3. Zoster vaccinations (Shingles vaccination) are not reported to cause such spots.

4. Red, itchy and raised spots such as yours could be related to eczema, dermatitis (seborrheic dermatitis) or yeast infection (less likely).

Though I am pretty much sure that you will find beneficial results with 1% hydrocortisone cream application, I encourage you to have a doctor look at this spot. He or she can narrow down the possibility by a simple examination or with the help of microscopic studies. A strategic treatment can then be planned both to treat the present spot as well as prevent recurrence.

Hope this information is helpful and addressing all your concerns. Let me know if you have any other doubts.

Best wishes