Owl Image

Have painless and itchy lymph node under jaw. No fever or sore throat. Any thoughts?

Owl Image
Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain

Dentist, Prosthodontics

Question
I have either non painful swelling of a lymph node or salivary gland under my jaw. It swells when I eat and then subsides in about 10 minutes. I also have itching along side my ear and it feels puffy but does not look puffy. This has been going for about 2 months and acted up after I had two new crowns put on my upper teeth. I have no fever, sore throat, loss of appetite or nausea. I saw my general doctor who stated it was probably my lymph node acting up after the dental work but that was two months ago. Thought?
Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 51 minutes later

After reading your symptoms, I am quite certain that you have a blockage either in your salivary gland itself or the salivary gland duct as the swelling occurs after eating food. There is no correlation with the lymph node.

I would suggest you to get a contrast CT along with a sialogram of salivary gland of sub mandibular / submental region. Treatment plan will depend on your diagnostic findings. If the blockage is in duct then it can be removed intra orally under local anesthesia.

I would recommend that you visit your doctor and get the test done at the earliest in order to avoid infection.

Hope this answers your query. If you have any more queries, do let me know.