What causes numbness and tenderness in the chin?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 13 Apr 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have numbness in my chin area near the jaw line. I don't notice any difference in my teeth or gums by visual examination but do sense some tenderness on the underside of my chin/jawbone. The numbness has been on the left side of my face but it's on both sides now. I also had an isolated incident of vertigo two days ago while driving to work. The whole world was spinning like I was recovering from a hang over. I pulled to the side of the road, held my head with both hands and eventually the spinning stopped. It was very strange and disturbing for me. I have not had vertigo since.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Submandibular paraesthesias

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to health care Magic and thanks for putting up the query
The numbness and tenderness below the chin is either due to salivary gland infection or an inflamed lymph node. You should get an ultrasound submandibular area done and send me the report.
The single episode of dizziness can be due to some stress or some optokinetic effect or effect of some medicine. Get your blood pressure and blood sugar levels checked. If there is any repeated episodes than get yourself examined by an Ent specialist.
Follow up with the reports so that I can suggest you better.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 56 minutes later
Do I need to see a specialist to get the ultrasound? If so what kind? ENT?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Submandibular paraesthesia

Detailed Answer:
Hi
A sonologist or a radiologist will do an ultrasound.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 8 minutes later
How critical is it for me to get medical attention? I have an appointment set up for 12/29/17. Should I try to get in sooner?If it is an infection, can it spread in that time frame of 6 weeks?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Submandibular paraesthesia

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Please send me the picture of the region and tell me do you have any fever or pain on chewing?
Any dental caries?
Also send me the picture of your throat.
Follow up with the required information.
Thanks and regards
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 23 minutes later
I have some pain on chewing with a sensitive tooth on the upper right
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Submandibular paraesthesias

Detailed Answer:
hi
Thanks for the information
The tooth might be the cause. You should consult immediately as it might need an antibiotic treatment or some intervention. Tooth infection can sometimes cause complications so my advise is you should get examined yourself.
Use hexidine mouthwash.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T