Have painful red lump above tailbone. Any solution?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: i have a lump beside my tailbone near the top. It's red with white dots on it and vary painful
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
If the lump is just above your tailbone, at the cleft of your buttocks, it's very likely a pilonidal cyst.It is generally very painful on applying pressure.
Sometimes they break open and drain of their own.
You can't treat it yourself.
If the lump is besides the tail bone then it can be a simple abscess which again can burst of its own.
You can simply soak it in a hot bath and take some pain killer like tylenol or ibuprofen.
Since it is very painful to you,I advise you to consult a doctor and get it lanced to drain it.If it is an infected pilonidal cyst,then it will recur again and then you have to get it fixed surgically by a surgeon.
If it is some simple abscess,then a drainage along with a prescription of antibiotics and anti inflammatories should settle your problem.
 I hope to have answered your problem however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 14 hours later
thank you so much, today when i work up it had i head on it but hurts to bad to sqeeze it. but it is yellow/green in color
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
It looks ripe now and ready to burst.
Soaking in hot bath should facilitate it's bursting and once the pus comes out,you shall be greatly relieved.
Thanks