Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Have pain right side. Never goes away. What to do?

Oct 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 516 Questions
I have a pain in my right side that goes down to my lower right side that never goes away
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Namala Bharadwaj 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be problem with kidney.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Connieshrader,
Thanks for your query at XXXXXXX
I understand your concern.

Pain in right side that is radiating down I would consider problem with gall bladder or kidney.

In your case gall bladder is ruled out because surgery was done and it had been removed.

Kidney problem can be reason to pain.
In kidney diseases like stone can cause pain that will originate on the right side and radiate up to thigh. Pain in kidney stone or nephrolithiasis can persist up to 3 to 18 hours .
Sometimes pain is associated with vomiting.

Complete urine examination and Ultra sound abdomen will be helpful in your case.

I will await for your lab reports to give you my opinion.
I Hope answered your query.
Any further information we can discuss in follow up query
or direct query at
WWW.WWWW.WW Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have pain right side. Never goes away. What to do? 16 minutes later
I have had the pain for over 6 months it hurts more some days than others lately it don't go away. I do hurt in a area in my back I am taking meds for thyroid, I hate Armor, Triamt, phentermine, Vitamins Potassium, Biotin, Alive. The pain hurts if I am sitting or laying down, I try to eat healthy and work out. I can take pain meds and this pain don't go away that is what is strange.
Answered by Dr. Namala Bharadwaj 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be severe resisitant to pain killers.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Connieshrader,
I understand your concern, 6 months is quite long duration.

The pain that is caused by kidney stones can be quite severe and resistant to pain killer drugs.
For pain relief that is caused by kidney specially if due to stone, anti inflammatory agents like acetaminophen are quite helpful and relieve the pain.
If pain severe opioids are helpful along with anti inflammatory agents.

It would also be better if you can answer some of my questions such as:
- are your menstrual cycle regular, is pain related to it.
- back pain you have complained is it related to pain on right side .

We can discuss further once you have requested lab reports.
Any further information we can discuss in follow up query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have pain right side. Never goes away. What to do? 13 minutes later
Menstrual cycles are not regular, I have pain when I have them and my Brest hurt so bad at that time. I am sick for the first couple of days. I just push thou it. I not a complainer about pain I don't like to be. It is not related to it.

yes the pain with my back is on the right side. I have some labs already done but not with me.
Answered by Dr. Namala Bharadwaj 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
kidney related problems have to be ruled out .

Detailed Answer:
Hello Connieshrader.

So far from the history you have provided in our discussion two things are ruled out one is liver and gall bladder disease and other gynaecological problems.

Only remaining is related to kidney pathology , above requested investigation will find any major problem with kidney.

Back pain might be radiating pain from kidney pathology.

You said that investigations are already done , do you remember any abnormality in that report so that it can help us in further discussion.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor