Have pain in rib cage. Was constipated. Took magnesium citrate. Had stroke and heart stent

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Question: i HAVE PAIN FRONT TO BACK , CENTER , AT THE BOTTOM OF MY RIB CAGE. LEVEL ABOUT 2 OF 10. iT WAS FURTHER LEFT LAST sUNDAY, SO i WAS ADMITTED TO EMERGENCY FOR POSSIBLE HEART PROBLEM - FULLY CHECKED OUT - OK.
was constipated, urinating was difficult. enema and magnesium citrate cleared that.

pain comes and goes.

had heart stent 2009, stroke 2011.

Mother died of colen cancer at 88.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need more info

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

Instead of listing out all the differential diagnoses for pain below the rib cage I would like to know a little history

1. Does the pain subside or increase after taking food?
2. Is the pain sharp or dull aching?
3. Does it pain more during breathing?
4. Does the pain increase after change in position and posture?

I am happy heart has been checked and ruled out. The only possible differential now will be your stomach, pancreas and lung.

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 25 hours later
Eating doesn't seem to make a difference.
The pain is more like burning.
Deep breaths seem to lessen the pain. Laying down brings it on.
Standing up straighter helps reduce the pain.
It is still intermittent. And I seem to have a lot of gas.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Acute gastritis

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the reply

The pain you are describing is suggestive of acute gastritis. You will need to be on a course of anti gastric medications like pantoprazole once a day before food for a period of 14 days. Since you also have a lot of gas I would suggest a combination tablet, that is, pantoprazole with domperidone.
Please follow these simple steps for a faster recovery

1. Avoid spicy food, milk and milk products until you are better.
2. Avoid coffee, tea and alcohol
3. Do not sleep for at least 2 hours after dinner
4. Avoid smoking
5. Eat regularly and on time everyday
6. Do not skip meals

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me.