Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Have normal alt, bun and cholesterol level. Worried for elevated ast level

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14983 Questions
I had a screening done and I had an eleveated AST, my ALT was fine, my BUN was fine, my chlorestoral levels were fine as well I do not drink and I was at the gym that day before the test and I had an energy drink. I am concerned my AST was an 84
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 39 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are different types of liver enzymes which can provide varied information. The main types are AST, ALT, GGT. Protein levels and bilirubin are also used in some persons to assess the function of the liver.

AST provides information mainly on the tissues of the liver whereas ALP looks at the passages within the liver, though there could be some overlap.Though AST is present in the liver, it is also found in red blood cells, muscle and in the heart, this is the reason it was used to determine if a person was having a heart attack.

The normal level of AST is quoted as between 5 to 40, though there may be some variation from lab to lab.
An increase in AST may be due to injury to the liver as a result of : medication, infections of the liver, trauma, fatty liver which is the build up of fat in the liver which can occur with a high carbohydrate diet or due to alcohol use.
The increase may be due to non alcoholic fatty liver which is actually the most common cause at present. You may want to consider repeating it to ensure that the level is correct.
If you and your doctor believe that it is related to fatty liver then a change in diet would result in improvent.

This would involve reducing carbohydrate use (carbohydrates cause insulin to be released and insulin stops fat from breaking down). Carbohydrates are found in rice/pasta/bread/biscuits/some breakfast cereals/roti/other flour products/potatoes/sodas/fruit drinks.
Use high fiber foods such as fruits and vegetables.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor