Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Have narcolepsy and chronic fatigue syndrome. What medicine should I use?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2272 Questions
I was diagnosed with Narcalopsy in 2005 and Chronic fatigue Syndrome and have the documents in han of the official diagnoses. I am currentlyon Disability for Chronic fatigue and and not taking any medication for the Fatique and Narcalepsy and need to see a doctor tomorrow who can prescribe what I used to take for Narcalepsy -250 mg (I think) _Provigil or Modafimil. I am on Medicad Would you be able to see me and my medical records which I will bring with me for your documentation and be able to Rx one of those scripts for me tomorrow? What time do you have a appointment opening I was about to scan the medical dis=gnosis to you , the records... Wheres the iotion to uplaid a scna now? XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 5 hours later
Welcome to healthcare magic!
The treatment od Narcolepsy is with modafinil(PROVIGIL) or methylphenidate which increase the awakeness in these patients and they are prescription drug and need close monitoring for response and dose adjustment.
Chronic fatigue syndrome is a nonspecific general fatigue complex and is mainly treated with antidepressants, opiod pain killer, paracetamol and a supplement of multivitamins.
You need to approch a local physician in your locality in person, on this website prescriptions are not allowed so can not be witten.
A neurologist/physician would be an appropriate specialist for you.
I hope you would get benefited with my advise.
Wish you a good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have narcolepsy and chronic fatigue syndrome. What medicine should I use? 4 days later
Thank You! I also have Adult Attention Deficiet Disorder and already take The maximum legal dose of either Adderall, Vyvansse, or Ritalin. I am still falling asleep even while driving. I have been taking 90 mgs of Adderall for about 13 years now Rx's by my Psychiatrisy who is aware I have Narcolepsy. She said she isn't legally allowed in XXXXXXX to give me my A.D.D. med plus Provigil for the Narcolepsy. She said I have to pick one or the other. Would a Neurologist have more prescribing privilages than a Psychiatrist, in order that I may take my Adderall or Vyvanse 70 mgs or Ritalin 90 mgs per day plus Provigal in addition for treating my second delimma...Narcalepsy?
Thanks So Much! XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 4 hours later
Welcome back.
You should see a neurologist in any case.
There is a possibility of yourself having Epilepsy apart/in addition to the narcolepsy. He would be in a better position to decide about the appropriateness of drugs for you.
Taking Modafinil in addition to ADD drugs increases chances fo seizures so neurologist should be consulted prior to deciding on this.
Please refrain from driving till you get a nod from your doctor for this because currently you can lead to harm to self or others through driving due to accidents risk.
I hope you will get well soon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor