What causes slight facial muscle twitching?

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 21 May 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am having some slight twitching of some muscles in my face on just the left side
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
What type of focal seizures you had before?

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist, here to answer your query.

I would like to know the type of focal seizures you had before-please describe the seizure semiology?What activity used to happen?Are these facial twitches related to that?

I shall be glad to have you in follow-up with details.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)

Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 8 hours later
I have had only partial seizures in the past. The first one was about 5 years ago and I got diagnosed with epilepsy about 3 years ago and have controlled the seizures with kepra. I have had two seizures only when I forgot too take medicine. I have never noticed any facial issues before any seizures but I usually get a sense of a strong odor.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
EEG should be done.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being in follow-up.

In presence of a strong odour and background of epilepsy, I think an EEG is needed to see if these facial twitches are just another type of focal seizures; though they may not be and related to other causes like Benign fasciculations or Hemifacial spasm.I would be able to tell in a better way if you can create a video of these twitches and upload it here.

Hope that helps.I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad