What causes great weight loss while suffering from anxiety and depression?
Just realized that I had forgotten a few other symptoms or whatever. I feel hot or overheated much more than others, even in what they say is a chilly atmosphere. Thought it was hot flashes, but I haven't had a period since I was 47 and am now 54, so that's probably no longer applicable. Occasionally, like maybe once every two weeks, I'll experience a bout of insomnia and just lie in bed and look at the clock on and off for what seems like all night. But it's not a consistent happening and for the most part I sleep well. I think I've finally covered everything!--and maybe these things aren't even pertinent.
I would explain as follows:
Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!
I passed carefully through your questions and would explain that it is important performing a comprehensive differential diagnosis of different possible causes that may mimic this clinical scenario: a cardiac arrhythmia, thyroid dysfunction, partial epilepsy seizures, or a panic disorder (anxiety).
Coming to this point, I would recommend performing some tests to investigate for the possible causes:
- a chest X ray study
- a resting ECG and cardiac ultrasound
- an ambulatory 24-48 hours ECG monitoring to examine your heart rhythm trends for a prolonged time and investigate for possible cardiac arrythmia
- complete blood count for anemia
- thyroid hormone levels for thyroid dysfunction
- blood electrolytes.
If all the above tests result normal, an EEG would be needed to investigate for possible partial epilepsy seizures.
At the end, if all the above tests result normal, you should consider anxiety as the main cause of your complaints. In such case, I would recommend consulting with a specialist of this field.
Hope you will find this answer helpful!
I would explain as follows:
I am glad to have been helpful to you!
Performing your thyroid hormone levels analysis, would be the right step to check if you have any thyroid problems. A thyroid dysfunction could mimic such clinical scenario.
If you have any other questions, please let me know about everything!
Hope to have clarified some of your uncertainties!
Wishing good health,
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Depression drugs for weight loss
- What causes high bpm while resting anxiety and depression
- What are the causes of slow weight loss
- Can anxiety cause weight loss
- Anxiety palpitations weight loss
- Weight loss due to anxiety
- What causes sudden weight loss with anxiety
- What causes chest pain when suffering from anxiety and depression
- What causes drastic weight loss
- What causes depression and anxiety
- What do the following stress tests, echo and holter monitor test result...
- Suggest alternative treatment for congestive heart failure
- Suggest treatment for hypertension and GERD
- Suggest treatment for high BP and tingling in arms
- What causes sharp pain in chest area relieved by burping?
- Suggest treatment for afib, severe sleep apnea and high heart rate?
- What causes shortness of breath with normal chest X-ray?
- What causes severe pain in my calf muscle in Tietze syndrome?
- What causes altered sense of smell when diagnosed with sinus tachycardia?
- Does page syndrome increase the risk of heart attack?