Have menstruation twice a month and feeling dizzy while walking. Is this normal?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in General Health
Question: hi doctor. I am 20years old girl. I have menstruation twice a month for about 2 years. everyday i got dizziness. sometimes, during short walking or climbing stairs, I feel fainting. I also esy to get tired. what is you4 advices?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Get you blood tested. Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this frequent menstruation and the symptoms you have been experiencing for the past 2years. From the information you have provided, I am concerned that you ay have blood shortage, also referred to as anemia. Given that blood is lost each time during menstruation, this can actually expose you to looses that lead to anemia if you are not receiving an iron supplements. Red blood cells are the main cells that are responsible for carrying oxygen to the whole body. If they are in any less than normal quantity, there is a generally lack of energy and you easily feel tired doing even routine chores. Also, your palms and soles would look pale compared to that of normal people. you may also feel your heart racing with the least exercise. I will suggest that you get a complete blood count to make sure your hemoglobin numbers are okay. If they are not, then you would be prescribed probably iron tablets to help overcome the deficit. Also, talk with your doctor who should consider putting you on hormonal pills so as to give your cycle a more acceptable routine and frequency. These measures put together would help prevent any future anemia and alleviate symptoms. I hope this helps you and provides guidance on how to tackle this problem. Contact your physician and get the blood tested and probably the cycle adjusted with medications. Thank you for using our services and please do feel free to request for more information if need be. I wish you well. Dr. Ditah, MD
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 13 hours later
how about caffeine? i drink coffee everyday. so, does caffeine one of causes of my pain? does caffeine gives bad effect to my health?
Brief Answer: See below. Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for following up with me. Caffeine in moderate amounts has no negative effects on your health. By moderate, we mean about 3cups per day. However, if you get to consume too much you can run into the risk of other conditions like difficulty sleeping, nervousness, irritability, stomach upset, muscle tremors, etc. Caffeine is not a known cause of this problem that you have reported. I wish you well. Dr. Ditah, MD
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 22 hours later
Thank you doctor. by the way, how about hormonal test? do i need to get the test also?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: NO Detailed Answer: Hormonal test is not always helpful in this scenario. Treatment with contraceptive pills in most cases is the starting point and it often helps lots. I wish you well. Dr. Ditah, MD