Are frequent mood swings, sleeplessness and excessive sweating withdrawal symptoms of Paxidep?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 18 May 2018 in Mental Health
Question: Hi doctor,
I am on paxidep cr 12.5 for last 1.5 -2 months approx. I have now reduced it recently and occasionally skipping it for last 10 days.
Now, I am experiencing more frequent mood swings and irritation, lack of long sleep, sweating even in pleasant weather, little racing of heartbeat, recent stomach upset and also flu like situation. I strongly doubt it is due to the withdrawal of the drug.
Please suggest how to come out of this situation. I am more inclined now in health exercises like jogging and crunches. I would also like to engage in meditation. Please respond at your earliest convenience as I am not getting proper advise now.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
I think there is need to continue medication

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

In my opinion rather than the withdrawal effect of medication, it is early closure of treatment which is making you moody and stomach upset. Although few of your symptoms can be explained on basis of withdrawal but many others suggest that they are the symptoms of anxiety disorder. As per the available data there is need to continue medication for at least 9-12 months with appropriate dosage before withdrawing it.

Having said this I request you to see your doctor and get the new prescription for proper dosage. This will help you in long run for management of anxiety.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 11 hours later
Hi doctor,
Thanks for your response.
One point I would like to put forward, that I am having headache and feeling as if head is little heavy. Maybe this is due to very bad cold I had developed very recently. Or maybe this is due to effect of the missing dosage.
This situation has arisen all of a sudden. This is making me anxious.
I am generally fit and have good health.
Please suggest me if I can re-continue with Paxidep cr 12.5 mg again.
Lastly doctor, will this have bad repercussions later if I continue ?
My only psychologic issue is I have excessive tension and anxiety. But no illogical behaviour or psychic fits.
I thank you wholeheartedly for your help. waiting to hear from you. Please help.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for follow up.

Sudden onset of these symptoms indicates possibility of infection rather than withdrawal symptoms. Since you developed cold it could be possible cause for headache.

The starting dose of paxidep is 12.5 mg per day and I do not think there is problem with restarting. However I like to make it clear that it is never a wise decision to take medication without supervision of doctor. Considering this I request you to see your doctor before refilling prescription.

Paxidep is indicated for anxiety, tension, depression and not for fits or illogical behavior.

I hope this helps you further.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below-mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386

Thanks and regards.