Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Have low thyroid, having rashes and cramping in legs. Suggest the natural supplements to be taken

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1649 Questions
what can a patient with low thryroid do if all meds taken for problem cause reactions rashes or very bad leg cramping and you can not take iodine due to allergic reaction. Can any supplement natural be taken and if so what. Am at a delema here. Can you help or explain why this happens to me?
Posted Sun, 24 Nov 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: Use other brands.Sea food, egg. Fruits & vegetabl Detailed Answer: Hi thanks for using XXXXXXX I went through your query and understood your concern. 1. If hypothyroidism you need to supplement with thyroid hormones. This is most important one in your management. Since thyroxine is naturally occurring component you cannot be allergic to these as they are manufactured using recombinant Human DNA technology. You may be allergic to the binders/additives that are added to the drug during its preparation. So if allergic to one particular brand you can try with other brand like eltroxine or thyronorm or others. If again you feel allergic to it you can do De-challenge and re-challenge with the drug to confirm with your doctors guidance. 2. If you substitute hormone then the need of iodine is not much required. If allergic to iodine you can take fortified salt with iodine or sea food. They are rich in iodine. Very bad leg cramp may be due to dehydration or hypo proteinemia or due to low potassium levels. Use food rich in electrolytes and protein like cereals, pulses, fruits and vegetables. Get checked for sugar levels and serum electrolytes once to exclude any problem with them and get examined from your doctor once(general physical examination). Hope this answered your query and is helpful for you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Wish you a very happy life and good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have low thyroid, having rashes and cramping in legs. Suggest the natural supplements to be taken 16 hours later
what is pulses? I am allergic to seafood cuts me down to wegg fruits veggiesw for foods. Where do I get eltroxine or thyronorm who makes and do I need a doctors order to get them? Can you send doctors order to purchase for me to try them.
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Legumes.Thyroid profile. Need doctor's order Detailed Answer: Hi thanks for writing back. Pulse are also called as green legumes. They are dry beans like pinto beans, kidney beans and navy beans, dry peas, lentils etc. They are XXXXXXX in protein (essential amino acids). For eltroxine or thyronorm: These are available in pharmacy outlets with different dosage forms. You need prescription (doctor order) to get these drugs as they are hormones. You need to test your Thyroid profile (TSH level, T3 & T4) and general physical examination to fix the dosage. So I advice you to consult your doctor once and discuss the above for prescription order. I can't send Doctor's order without complete examination. This hormone/drug is marketed by united pharmacies, XXXXXXX Abbott etc. It is marketed with different trade names, so consult your doctor to get the available one at your region. I hope this answered your query and helpful to you. If any related query, please feel free to ask. Wish you good health. regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have low thyroid, having rashes and cramping in legs. Suggest the natural supplements to be taken 16 hours later
what other brand names besides eltroxime and thyronmorm are available. I tried snthyroid, armour, leveythroxine all were reactions troubles. I have dr appt Nov. 7th thurs. so would like to pass on info to dr. as he is family physicain and not specialist in the field of endocronology. I can talk with him about getting testing done as i have blood work every three months done all was normal including potassium and hormones we did not do sugar levels or electroltyes so I will get these. Last time I was there dr was rather fustrated at me due to all meds given causing me problems we thought XXXXXXX and iodine in pills might cause it but you have given diff directionI need to be on thyroid meds before my organs and body shut completely down. Is low thyroid curable reversable with diet and can you send your recommendations for such step. Thank you I am eteranallly grateful for your knowledge and sharing it with me. I will pass copy of this onto my dr. thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Thyrox, roxin, Synox, thyrowin, thyrosec Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writhing Back. Brands: Thyrox, roxin, Synox, thyrowin, thyrosec are few other brands of Thyroxin. Yes with mild hypothyroidism we can treat with adequate iodine if the thyroid gland is working properly and the problem has occurred due to iodine deficiency.. If you are reactive to iodine then use fortified salt and iodine XXXXXXX food. Try with different drugs. Not all drugs will be allergic. there may be chances of overlapping of allergic symptom due to other cause. So discuss with your doctor on other allergens and that will help to find the right drug for you. Hope this helps you. Its my pleasure to help you. Wish you faster recovery and good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have low thyroid, having rashes and cramping in legs. Suggest the natural supplements to be taken 3 days later
My doctor could not find these meds in his medical book are they special meds only from your culture India or other. He was going to check with pharmacist on them can you give more specific names for me so can relay to doctor. I currently got Cytomel 25mcg as prescription until doctor finds out what these names mean in current medical terms as his book did not list them he refered to.
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Synthroid,Thyrax,Euthyrox,Levoxyl,Levothroid, Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. Cytomel 25 mcg is T3 hormone. The dose need to be adjusted based on your response. If you tolerate this you can continue the same. In our body T4 converts to T3 and act on all the tissue. So since you are taking T3 then no need for T4 supplementation or Iodine. Those drugs I mentioned are from different companies with different trade name. I usually prefer eltroxin or thyronorm. The drugs you used like snthyroid, armour, are also very known drugs for hypothyroidism. Since you are allergic to them I searched only for you from my drug update. These drugs (Eltroxin, thyronorm) are T4 hormones and will get convert to T3 before acting. There are lot of generics of thyroxine in market. So you can check them with the pharmacist and can select the one that suits you. The list of the generics are also available in internet and in drug update. You can also get help from them. Some of the names(brands) available Internationally are- Synthroid, Thyrax, Euthyrox, Levoxyl, Levothroid, Levaxin, L-Thyroxine, Eltroxin and Thyrox. Hope this helps you. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor