Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Have low platelet count and high triglyceride. Suggest?

Dec 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1704 Questions
my platelet count in 120
I'm 58 years old (female)
triglycerides 237
hgb 16.5
hct 47.4
was called in for more blood work
are these numbers cause for concern
Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Platelet, HGB and triglycerides are abnormal

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Well these values are respectively abnormal.
Your platelet count is lower than normal. Reference range is between 150-0000 counts/microliter meaning that you have thrombocytopenia. Now, the type will depend on other coexisting signs/symptoms (including other abnormal blood works).

Your triglyceride (lipid) is high (with normal range should be <150 mg/dl) which means you have hypertriglyceridemia and this should only be considered severe by considering other lipids such as LDL and HDL cholesterols (if other dyslipidemias exist). I suppose it is the reason why you have been called for other blood works such as complete blood count (CBC), complete lipid profile, fasting blood sugar etc.

Your Hemoglobin (Hgb) level is slightly elevated (a condition known as polycythemia) but I do not think it is actually a problem given that significant values should be above 16.5 g/dl in order that hematologic malignancies should be suspected. How ever, your hematocrit (HCT) is within normal range which also can confirm the fact that your slightly increased hgb should be a cause for concern.
How ever, what needs to be looked into is your low platelet count and your triglycerides as they are clearly abnormal and could transmit a serious pathological state. I am also positive how ever the situation, your condition will definitely be treatable.

Wish you the best and I hope you have a better health.
Dr. Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor