Is WBC count of 10 a cause for concern?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi there, I had a CBC done at the emergency room about six months age for stomach pain which they concluded was a possible ulcer. Since then the pain has went away. I had to request my medical records for insurance purposes today and took a quick look at the labs and my HGB was .6 high, HCT was .3 high, MPV was .2 high, and EOS was 7%. My WBC count was 10 (10.5 is the upper range). Does this cause any concern? The ER doctor said everything came back fine.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no significant change

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

A change of less than 1 is not usually considered significant, this is the reason that your doctor would have stated that it was normal.

Minor changes such as these do not indicate any particular condition.

The slight increase in hemoglobin and hematocrit may be related to what is called hemoconcentration-- when a persons fluid intake is reduced, the blood maybe more concentrated because of the decreased water/fluid and this causes some of the values to appear higher. It does not cause any problems just indicates fluids may be reduced.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Another physician is telling me that this lab work is indicative of PV (polycythemia Vera), is this true?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
that requires Hb>16.5 and hematocrit >48

Detailed Answer:
Hi

There are criteria that are used to diagnosed PV , it requires an HB > 16.5 g/dl in women and an hematocrit of greater than 48% in women (the values are different for men.
There are also other criteria that are required as well

Your results do not fall into this category so it cannot be PV

If anything else unclear, can let me know