Have itchy spots on back and legs. What could be causing this?

Dr. Pravin Banodkar

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello Doctor

One day I suddenly had a lot of itchy spots over my body especially back and legs. We suspected bed bugs and checked our matteress thoroughly but did not find anything noticeable. Still we vaccum cleaned the matteresses.

Now my wife also has such itchy spots at almost similar places in body. The itch is very bad. we took levocetrizine tablets and applied steriod creams that hasnt helped with itching.

Please help.
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 7 hours later
Your symptoms are suggestive of Acute Papular Urticaria.
Your site of distribution could be related to some crawling insect .
The back and the leg involvement could be due to that and of course your wife also getting spots of rash at similar sites indicates that .

Many times it is not possible to find out the cause, however since most episodes of acute urticaria are self limited within 4-6 weeks of onset of symptoms, it is not imperative to do so.

I would recommend to continue intake of Tablet Claritin 10 mg once or twice a day for 2 weeks + calamine lotion over the affected areas whenever symptoms occur and seeing whether they recur on stopping the medicine after 2 weeks.

You can also take a prescription of ivermectin from your Dermatologist or Physician as it works well for scabies.
You can also apply 5% Permethrin cream from the neck to toe. tonight . and wash off the next day . Repeat application after 10 days .

If they do then restart treatment for another four weeks and then stop and see. If they still recur then you will require some blood tests and will need to see a doctor in person.

Please note that if you have any lip swelling or difficulty in breathing you should see doctor right away.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.
Please feel free to ask if you have any queries.
Follow up: Dr. Pravin Banodkar 14 hours later
Thanks for detailed response. I met a consultant today and he said it looks like bite of some night insect.

He has advised application of clobetasol ointment and tablets having methylprednisilone BD for 3 days. I am not completely convinced that I should be taking steroids for this.

Please let me know your views on this.
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 19 hours later
I also wouldn't suggest you to take short course of steroids.
You can try above treatment as advised .
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Pravin Banodkar 13 hours later
Hi Doctor

I am attaching few pictures of these eruptions of skin of my wife and me for your review. Please review them once

Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 6 hours later
Thanks for the image sent.
It confirms the papular urticaria . Please follow the treatment suggested.
Short course of corticosteroid not necessary.
Thanks and Take care
Follow up: Dr. Pravin Banodkar 9 days later
Hello Doctor

We were relieved of the problem for last 7-8 days since we applied premethrin and tab. ivermectol. However, symptoms seem to be coming back since yesterday. We all re-applied premethrin last night.

Is there any thing else that we should do? Should we repeat ivermectol also?

Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 22 hours later
Thanks for the query posted.

You should repeat the treatment.
The bed linen at home , clothes should be cleaned with hot water and should be driedcin sunlight.
The house should be fumigated by expert pest control services.

Even if you cannot see any insects around.

Thanks and take care
Follow up: Dr. Pravin Banodkar 4 hours later
Thanks doctor.

I need special advice for my daughter who is 2.5 yr old. Is it safe to apply premethrin on her body? Should she also take ivermectol? In that case, please recommend a syrup for her since she will not be able to take tablet.

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 3 hours later
Thanks for the reply posted.
For her you can apply only the Permethrin .
It is safe to apply at her age.
There is no need to give her Ivermectin .

Thanks and Take care