Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

139 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have idiopathic edema. Getting pressure in neck and feet pain. Which specialist should I consult?

Answered by
Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist

Practicing since :2000

Answered : 3769 Questions

Posted on Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: Hi Dr. Christensen, I have idiopathic edema and a variety of other smaller symptoms. To date my doctor classifies me as an enigma. I have been trying to associate timing of occurances. The edema definately worsens during the three days preceding my menstrual cycle. In addition, my feet become incredibly painful to walk and even at rest during the same period. I also have a sensation of pressure in my neck (strangling sensation) during this period and throughout the duration of my cycle. Blood tests over the past year and a half show an infection is likely, although one has not been identified. Also significant decrease in levels associated with very heavy menstrual cycles. I am uninsured and need to make each appointment count. Do you have any recommendations on what type of specialist I should consider seeing?

I have had a chest x-ray and upper gi within the past 6 months and both are normal. I also have an incisional hernia.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 48 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

I read your query and I understand your concerns. Following is my reply :

1) Edema is due to accumulation of fluid and can be associated with various factors.

2) As the symptoms precede menses, perhaps hormonal changes can be the likely association. Progesterone hormone increases towards end of menses. And this progesterone is known to cause water retention.

3) Anemia or renal disease are the other close possibilities which I hope your doctors have ruled out.

4) Discuss with your physician to ascertain the cause of edema by investing hormonal and renal parameters.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 7 hours later
Dr. Koregal, thank you fir your response. In regards to the exams, lasix nor hctz have helped at all, either in conjunction or apart. I have had major weight gains in conjunction with the edema. 28 pounds in thirty six hours once, but typically it averages. T w elve pound gain over a five day period

A 1200 calorie a day diet over the course of a month netted me thirteen pound gain. Thyroid, kidney and liver tests come back normal. Do you think gynecologicl could be the issue ? My doctor has recommended an appointment with an endo or gyno and again, being uninsured i need to make a choice and would appreciate a second opinion. Fyi, the edema is generalized..legs and trunk, pitting
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 47 minutes later
Hi, thanks for additional information.

Weight gain is mainly due to fluid collection. The cause needs to be diagnosed. In view of all reports you have mentioned and type of edema I advice you to consult an endocrinologist and not a gynecologist.

Endocrinologist can evaluate non gynecological conditions. If you visit gynec- directly they might refer you to endocrinologist. Hence I suggest visiting endocrinologist directly to save cost and time.

Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,  
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Progestagens

doctor1 MD

I am healthy average weight and I am on bio-identical homones and a low dose of thyroid med. befor bed I take prohesterone to sleep. But all thru the night I experience bouts of high body temperature-not flashes, just a slow steady constand heat that causes my entire body to sweat. Do you think the thyroid dose might be to high or can a person have to much progesterone?

doctor1 MD

Hello. My name is Ms. Eleanor. I have a question about certain affects I am having after having taken Cipro, Progesterone and Doxyclone. I took the Cipro for 3 days only because I didn t like the feelings it was giving me, but I continued with the rest of my prescription for 10 days. The thing is I am into day 15 and I am feeling horrible. Tingling in my fingers and toes, headache, nausea, upset stomach, extreme fatigue, anxiety, muscle twitch and now that I went online and read all of the horror stories about Cipro (fluroide toxic), I am scared to Death I am about to be afflicted by a death diagnosis. Please help me.

doctor1 MD

I just received bioidentical hormone cream from a compound pharmacy, per Dr. For minor menopause symptoms. The ingredients are estradiol 2 and progesterone 200. It s a pump bottle and to be applied to inner thigh (2pumps). My question is how safe is this to do?

doctor1 MD

Hi... I had a FET last weds. Had 1wk bloods done yesterday. Estrogen prior to transfer was 1100 ish...Told my estrogen levels have now dropped to 218.... Taking Estrace 2 tabs orally and 3 vaginally, just upped to 5 vaginally. Is a low estrogen level at this stage a bad sign? Progesterone was 153.4 nmol/l yesterday. Taking ednometrim and 2ml progesterone injections Getting plenty of pregnancy symptoms but not trusting as told it could be just the drugs... How soon can I do a home pregnancy test? Thanks

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, what is the treatment for polycystic ovarian bilateral.

doctor1 MD

Would like to have solution for PCOD , irregular menses problem

doctor1 MD

Doctor recommended Naturogest 200 after IUI.Is taking the medicine orally okay?