Have idiopathic edema. Getting pressure in neck and feet pain. Which specialist should I consult?

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: Hi Dr. Christensen, I have idiopathic edema and a variety of other smaller symptoms. To date my doctor classifies me as an enigma. I have been trying to associate timing of occurances. The edema definately worsens during the three days preceding my menstrual cycle. In addition, my feet become incredibly painful to walk and even at rest during the same period. I also have a sensation of pressure in my neck (strangling sensation) during this period and throughout the duration of my cycle. Blood tests over the past year and a half show an infection is likely, although one has not been identified. Also significant decrease in levels associated with very heavy menstrual cycles. I am uninsured and need to make each appointment count. Do you have any recommendations on what type of specialist I should consider seeing?

I have had a chest x-ray and upper gi within the past 6 months and both are normal. I also have an incisional hernia.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 48 minutes later

I read your query and I understand your concerns. Following is my reply :

1) Edema is due to accumulation of fluid and can be associated with various factors.

2) As the symptoms precede menses, perhaps hormonal changes can be the likely association. Progesterone hormone increases towards end of menses. And this progesterone is known to cause water retention.

3) Anemia or renal disease are the other close possibilities which I hope your doctors have ruled out.

4) Discuss with your physician to ascertain the cause of edema by investing hormonal and renal parameters.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 7 hours later
Dr. Koregal, thank you fir your response. In regards to the exams, lasix nor hctz have helped at all, either in conjunction or apart. I have had major weight gains in conjunction with the edema. 28 pounds in thirty six hours once, but typically it averages. T w elve pound gain over a five day period

A 1200 calorie a day diet over the course of a month netted me thirteen pound gain. Thyroid, kidney and liver tests come back normal. Do you think gynecologicl could be the issue ? My doctor has recommended an appointment with an endo or gyno and again, being uninsured i need to make a choice and would appreciate a second opinion. Fyi, the edema is generalized..legs and trunk, pitting
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 47 minutes later
Hi, thanks for additional information.

Weight gain is mainly due to fluid collection. The cause needs to be diagnosed. In view of all reports you have mentioned and type of edema I advice you to consult an endocrinologist and not a gynecologist.

Endocrinologist can evaluate non gynecological conditions. If you visit gynec- directly they might refer you to endocrinologist. Hence I suggest visiting endocrinologist directly to save cost and time.

Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E