Have hip pain and blood test showed high calcium level. What should be done?

Dr. Kulbir Singh

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi my daughter has bad hip pain and showen high calcium in her blood
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for posting the query
Hypercalcemia is the condition in which there is high value of calcium in blood. To treat the condition we have to firstly find out the cause for hypercalcemia. Calcium is important to many body functions, including: Bone formation, Hormone release, Muscle contraction, Nerve and brain function. But high calcium in blood can cause many symptoms including bone pain or skeleton pain your daughter is facing.

Medical conditions can also cause hypercalcemia:
1. Primary hyperparathyroidism (Most Common)
2. Adrenal gland failure
3. An inherited condition that affects the body's ability to regulate calcium (familial hypocalciuric hypercalcemia)
4. Being bedbound (or not being able to move) for a long period of time
5. Calcium excess in the diet
6. Hyperthyroidism
7. Kidney failure
8. Medications such as lithium and thiazide diuretics (water pills)
9. Some cancerous tumors (for example, lung cancers, breast cancer)
10. Vitamin D excess (hypervitaminosis D) from diet or inflammatory diseases

Now about the treatment of the hypercalcemia, it again depends on the cause of the high level of calcium, you need to consult your physician and get some investigations done so that you will get to a proper diagnosis of cause and accordingly treatment can be planned.

If the disease is causing severe symptoms you need to get admitted in hospital and you doctor will take care that no complications will occur due to hypercalciemia and try to get lowered the value as soon as possible.

In mild stage the treatment can be done by administration of oral drugs at home. For pain you need to take analgesic drugs like Ibuprofen or paracetamol. Hot fermentation and applying local anti-inflammatory gel can help. Restrict the movement of the part.

Consult your physician as soon as possible and start the treatment. Hope I have answered your query. Write back if you have any further query.

Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh