Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Have hip pain and blood test showed high calcium level. What should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 726 Questions
Hi my daughter has bad hip pain and showen high calcium in her blood
Posted Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for posting the query
Hypercalcemia is the condition in which there is high value of calcium in blood. To treat the condition we have to firstly find out the cause for hypercalcemia. Calcium is important to many body functions, including: Bone formation, Hormone release, Muscle contraction, Nerve and brain function. But high calcium in blood can cause many symptoms including bone pain or skeleton pain your daughter is facing.

Medical conditions can also cause hypercalcemia:
1. Primary hyperparathyroidism (Most Common)
2. Adrenal gland failure
3. An inherited condition that affects the body's ability to regulate calcium (familial hypocalciuric hypercalcemia)
4. Being bedbound (or not being able to move) for a long period of time
5. Calcium excess in the diet
6. Hyperthyroidism
7. Kidney failure
8. Medications such as lithium and thiazide diuretics (water pills)
9. Some cancerous tumors (for example, lung cancers, breast cancer)
10. Vitamin D excess (hypervitaminosis D) from diet or inflammatory diseases

Now about the treatment of the hypercalcemia, it again depends on the cause of the high level of calcium, you need to consult your physician and get some investigations done so that you will get to a proper diagnosis of cause and accordingly treatment can be planned.

If the disease is causing severe symptoms you need to get admitted in hospital and you doctor will take care that no complications will occur due to hypercalciemia and try to get lowered the value as soon as possible.

In mild stage the treatment can be done by administration of oral drugs at home. For pain you need to take analgesic drugs like Ibuprofen or paracetamol. Hot fermentation and applying local anti-inflammatory gel can help. Restrict the movement of the part.

Consult your physician as soon as possible and start the treatment. Hope I have answered your query. Write back if you have any further query.

Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor