Have enlarged prostate and CT scan showed normal pressure hydrocephalus. What to do?

Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Brain and Spine
Question: hi
my dad's CT scan report indicates the following :-
=> diffuse age related cerebral atrophy.
=> normal pressure hydrocephalus to be considered.
He is 68 years old.Are these impressions a sign of worry.Please advise what should i do next.can he go for a surgery as he has an enlarged prostate.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 30 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.
Normal pressure hydrocephalus (NPH) is abnormal accumulation of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) with increase in intracranial pressure.
These changes cause increase in size of ventricles.
The enlarged ventricles put increased pressure on the adjacent cortical tissue and cause myriad effects in the patient.
Classic symptoms include urinary incontinence (abnormal bed wetting), gait disturbances and decreased thinking process (also called as dementia).
Does your father has any one the described symptoms?
Does he has any past history of head injury/ brain hemorrhage/ brain infection?
NPH may be secondary to all these brain related diseases.
NPH diagnosis could be confirmed after removal of 40 ml CSF.
Removal of CSF improves patient's condition with normal gait, normal urinary habits with improved thinking ability.
Normal pressure hydrocephalus could be treated by placement of ventriculo-peritoneal shunt.
Enlarged prostate needs surgery (if not cured by medicines).
Surgery of prostate and normal pressure hydrocephalus is entirely different diseases and you can go for prostate surgery without any problems.
You should also consult with neurologist and urologist simultaneously.
Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow up: Dr. Mayank Bhargava 20 minutes later
Thanks Dr XXXXXXX .That was of great help & seasier to understand.How about the "diffuse cerebral atrophy"?
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 10 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Diffuse cerebral atrophy means progressive decrease in the size of brain with increasing age.
This also reflects in day to day life by observing decreased thinking process of an old aged persons and a young guy.
This is a natural phenomenon.
This is considered as a normal finding in an old aged patient's CT/ MRI scan of brain.
As such no medication is available for preventing cerebral atrophy and no medicine is available for correcting it.
Take care,
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Dr. Mayank Bhargava