• question-icon

Is Hydralazine safe for treating high BP without a doctor's prescription?

Posted on Thu, 26 Oct 2017 in General Health
Question: After prostate surgery, non cancerous, I went to a local nursing home for physical therapy, to regain strength I had lost. There was a nurse practitioner who took care of all the patients. He removed two blood pressure medications from my regimen, amlodapine and hydralazine. I am taking a beta blocker if my systolic blood pressure if over 130. My doctor is out of town, and my pharmacy is closed at the moment. I have a full prescription of hydralizine 50 mg. I had been taking this medication for more than a year before the nursing home stay. My blood pressure is running too high. I have an appt. with my dr. October 11. Should I wait until he returns, or is it safe to start taking it since I have a history with it? YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly follow up with further details

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting CHM

I have gone through your question. Please provide the following details.so that I can give you definite answer
-Why and when was hydralazine and amlodipine stopped by the nurse practitioner?
-Was beta blocker started after stopping hydralazine and amlodipine?
-What does of beta blocker and how often are you taking now?
-Hope often do you check blood pressure? What are your blood pressure reading on an average before and after stopping amlodipine and hydralazine?

Awaiting
Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal