• question-icon

Is sexual dysfunction common after prostate removal surgery?

Posted on Mon, 18 Sep 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I had prostate surgery and it has been two month and I'm slowly getting sexually active again but even with viagra I seem to get semi hard for a few minutes and then back to soft. Am I trying to soon after surgery? I tried viagra again and I got harder than I have been but I couldn't get turned on. I couldn't orgasm. I tried going as long as I could but eventually got tired. At least my wife enjoyed it. But why one time I am too soft and another I'm hard but not turned on.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It takes 4-6 months for normal sexual function to come back

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

It takes 3-4 months for prostatic fossa to heal up after removal of prostate hence it is common to have sexual dysfunction after surgery for removal of prostate .

Since bladder neck is resected along with prostate the ejaculation which happens during normal sex is not possible as the semen enters backwards into bladder what is called as Retrograde Ejaculation .However one gets climax of sexual satisfaction (Orgasm ) as usual .

Do not worry .You will have your normal hard erection and enjoyable sex after few more months .Till then you can continue taking Viagra

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist