Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Have enlarged lymphnode. Had tonsils. Feels tender and painful. Should I visit the doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5164 Questions
I have a enlarged lymphnode that is on one side of my neck for 4 weeks and i had my tonsils out a year and a half ago. Its firm and we have a family history of cancer. Its not tender or painful. Should i make an appt with my family doctor or see a specialist. Thanks
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better to consult specialist

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case

Enlarged lymph node in neck is very common condition and needs proper evaluation.
Most common reason for enlarged lymph node is usually infection, so we can start antibiotic regime and look for results.
There is enlarged lymph node in malignancy also.
If there is no improvement then we will need to investigate in form of complete blood count, ESR, CRP, tuberculin test, and Fine needle aspiration cytology or open biopsy.

There could be possibility of infection like Tuberculosis or sarcoidosis.
It can be due to benign malignancy of maxilla or oral mucosa, or metastatic lesion.

So I will advise you to consult a specialist and do further investigation.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor