Have cough, oral ulcer, painful and swollen lymph node on neck and under arm. What to do?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello Dr. XXXXXXX

My Name is XXXXXXX and we spoke about 2 weeks ago about my symtoms, Im more concerned now due to new symtoms..

Like I still have that litle cough and does not go away
also I been experiencing pain and small swelling on my neck and under arms lymph nodes for about 2 weeks now...

I also got an oral ulcer inside my upper lip for two weeks and is gone now
I have lost about 4lbs in the last 2 weeks but other than that NO FEVER OR OTHER SYMTOMS

Can you please help get my head straigh up please

Thanks

Respectfully, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 12 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.
I understand your concern.
The cough can remain longer after upper honey with water every morning ,it will take care of irritative cough.
Regarding the swelling in neck it can occur due to the infection you suffered in throat and cough.
Oral ulcer which healed on its own is an apthous ulcer and does not warrant any further treatment.

Weight loss of 4 lbs in 2 weeks is not normal.It needs to be investigated.
Have you undergone blood work up recently?
A Complete blood count with ESR(erythrocyte sedimentation rate ,Haemoglobin,total and differential lymphocyte count )needs to be done.
Also I would like to know-
have you undergone the antibiotic course as suggested?

Are the lymphnodes tender/painful? Are they growing in size?
Are the lymphnodes hard/firm?
Have you developed any skin rashes meanwhile?

Answer the questions and we can continue the discussion here.

Regards.
DrSudarshan
Dermatologist.
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 9 hours later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX

Thanks for getting back to me...

have you undergone the antibiotic course as suggested? AZHYTROMICIN ( I have the complete cycle)

They are a mild painful , they feel a little bigger than normal size but they are not getting any bigger

Are the lymphnodes hard/firm?
if I touch them they feel a little hard

On the sides of my upper legs but they look better now

what about the under arms lymph nodes?

Thank you Doctor :)
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 14 hours later
Hi Again XXXXXXX
Thanks for the details.

Most probable explanation for your problems is simple bacterial infection which is now resolving slowly.The under arm lymph nodes area also due to reactive lymphadenopathy and they will resolve slowly.

You just need to take an antihistaminic like Tab Zyrtec twice daily.Take some honey with water every day to suppress the cough.Weight lost can be regained by taking good diet and few multivitamin supplements. Polybion syrup is one such combination with B complex vitamins.Taking it for few weeks would improve general health and the immunity.

A few blood test mentioned above should be done to supervise the recovery.
As such there is nothing to be worried about and you should be fine in 2 weeks time.

Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.

Regards.
DrSudarshan