Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Have chronic right arm pain radiating from shoulder. Frequent pain in right buttock and lower back pain. Suggest the treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 193 Questions
I have chronic upper right arm pain radiating from shoulder to mid upper arm. Seems to be worse when I try to sleep at night. Also have frequent pain in right buttock, and lower back pain.
Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
X XXXXXXX , erythrocyte sedimentation rate, physical examination.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

The right arm pain as you describe could be originating from a neurologic or nervous problem. It might be important to know if you have any feeling like electric discharge in areas of the right arm. Pain might be intense at night since sleeping position could cause compression/pressure on the nerve supplying nerve supply to the region of the arm. It is important to note that nerves supplying the upper limbs originate in the spine and branch out from the main trunks at the level of the shoulder.

An erythrocyte sedimentation rate, an X XXXXXXX for the shoulder, and testing for blood levels of vitamins, Magnesium and Calcium could be quite useful. The degree of inflammation and ionic imbalance that could cause similar symptoms could be useful. Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs. analgesics, steroids, Vitamin supplementation , ionic supplementation and physiotherapy are the main treatment options in my opinion.

Diagnosis and treatment are however dependent on an accurate physical examination by your doctor, an X XXXXXXX and blood tests. Feel free asking any follow up questions in case you got specific concerns. Consult your primary care doctor or a rheumatologist.

Bain LE, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor