Have bumps on labia majora. What is this and cure?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: I have some bumps on my mons pubis near the labia majora that when i try to pop, bleed profusely. I asked my Gyn if it was genital warts, and she merely said they were razor burn. that was two weeks ago and they have not gone away even after not shaving. They arent painful and they dont itch. they started as flesh colored but now are a bit more pink.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 30 minutes later

The images sent by you reveal bunch of grouped vesicles on an erythematous base. Similar vesicular lesions are seen with herpes infection. If you have been active sexually, this might be related to herpes.

I suggest you to consult another Gynecologist who can examine the lesions and perform tests like PCR and HSV Antibody test to confirm the diagnosis and plan essential management.

Meanwhile do apply Acyclovir ointment on the lesions, twice daily. If the lesions are due to herpes, the ointment will contain the infection and prevent progression.

Hope I answered your query. Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
Would this also make my labia minor sore and itchy? I have had a yeast infection recently but my gyn had given me a pill that i took that resolved the issue for a little but its starting up again. could it be something more than a recurrent yeast infection?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 19 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, Herpes can sometimes make the inner labia itchy and sore.

Yeast infection usually presents with white curdy vaginal discharge with intense itching. If you have above symptoms then possibility of recurrent yeast can be considered; but the lesions are unlikely to be related to yeast.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.