Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Have a bulging disc that causes neck and upper arm pain. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5165 Questions
can a bulging disc at C5 and C6 cause pain between shoulder blades?
I have a bulging disc that causes neck and upper arm pain. However, my spine between shoulder blades and slightly further down is also painful. This has been going on for 2 years and is affect ting the quality of my life.
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No c 5 nerve root does not affect shoulder blade.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us,

I have read your query and I would advise the following:
C5 –c6 disc which compresses c 5 nerve root does not lead to pain in between your shoulder blade.
This area is supplied by T2 to T 4 levels.
Dorsal scapular entrapment: syndrome can lead to pain in interscapular area .
This can be due to entrapment of nerve between to scalene muscle.
You may need EMG NCV.

Till time you take neurotropic medication.
I have seen good recovery after holistic approach like pranayama, meditation .
So I will advise same to you, along with physiotherapy also.
I hope that I have answered your query. Let me know if I can help you further.

Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have a bulging disc that causes neck and upper arm pain. Treatment? 2 days later
Thanks for your reply Can you please explain EMG NCV.

Also what is neurotropic medication?

Thanks for your help.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
EMG- electromyography

Detailed Answer:

EMG -NCV [ electromyography and nerve conduction study] helps you to diagnose functioning of nerves.

Neurotropic medication include - tab methylcobalamine with gabapentin or similar medicines.

Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor