Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Has found melonoma. Had mole on back. Should Be worried for cancer?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 567 Questions
My isster just found out that she has melonoma. She had a black mole(kind of big) on her back. She has to go to see an oncologist and is worried. What can uou tell me?

Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 2 hours later

I am Dr XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to help you.

Based from the information it seem that you sister is diagnosed with melonoma and you are worried about it and wanting to know more about it.

Here is what melonoma is, it a Malignant (spreading and invasive) cancer of skin. It occurs due to a DNA damage mainly due to U.V. rays from sunlight. It normally appears as dark irregular mole like spot on the skin. The chances of getting better depends upon how big the spot is and how thick its inside the skin is, because the thickness is an indicator of spread of cancer. Once the spread has started its just difficult to deal with it efficiently. Lesser the thickness of the spot is indicative of local effect and can be removed with 100% cure result.

To measure the extent and the spread a skin biopsy is done and oncologist will deal with it and pathologist will confirm the changes in the biopsied tissues.

For protection :
1) Stay away from Direct sunlight during summer and especially at noon,
2) Use SPF 50+ sunscreen solution in case of sun exposure.
3) Wear full body covering clothing in case of unavoidable circumstances of sun exposure.
4) In case of any abnormal black spot that is getting bigger please get an medical help.

Hope I was able to answer the query to your satisfaction.

Please feel free to contact me in case of any clarifications/ further queries.

Thanks for the query

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor