Hair loss, teeth decay. Taking heparin, warfarin. Is it due to the medication?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi, I had a pe last November during a still birth, I have been on high doses of heparin 120mg daily and now I'm on 4mg of warfarin I have noticed my hair is falling out not loads but there is loss everyday and I've also noticed my teeth are starting to decay round the gum area is there a link with the medication? I'm 35 of small build weighing around 56kg.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later

Yes, definitely there is link between taking Warfarin and hair loss.

The most common side effects of warfarin is bleeding but there are other side effects like hairloss, lethargy and weakness, occasional bleeding from gums etc

It is always best to keep getting your blood tested and keep your INR (international normalized ratio) in normal range.

You must immediately inform your doctor, if you happen to notice any severe bleeding, chest pain, shortness of breath etc.

Since the hair loss is small, there is nothing to worry much and you keep continue your medications.

I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.

Best of luck.

Thanks,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T