Had unprotected sex with HIV positive partner. HIV test came negative. Having back pain, weight loss and rashes all over body.

Dr. Roopa Hiremath

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi I am a 28 year old black male I had a high risk of unprotected sex wit a girl rumored to be hiv positive I tested at 2, 16, and 18 months post exposure for hiv and they were all negative but I'm having severe symptoms which includes rashes all over body including under foot bad headaches itching all over body neck and back pains severe weight loss loss of appitite night sweats loss of muscles everywhere burning sensation in my thighs I'm feeling nerve pains in my fingers and ankles runny nose for over a month I tested positive for hsv1 can it be that I'm hiv positive and the test is just not showing it yet cause I heard it can take up to 3 years before a test can come back positive is this true help me please
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 4 days later
Brief Answer:
HIV Infection Progression

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr. XXXX,
I want to explain about HIV infection progression in HIV infected patients to clear your doubts about your HIV tests repeatedly coming negative.
If more than two consecutive tests done for HIV comes negative then the patient is announced as HIV negative.
YOU ARE HIV NEGATIVE.
Coming to HIV infection progression: Mind you these patients are HIV infection positive.
80%-90% of HIV infected are typical progressors
5%-10% of HIV infected are rapid progressors
5% of HIV infected are long term/non progressors

A number of adult infected patients with AIDS have been studied over many years. The progress in untreated individuals is as follows:
5% progress to AIDS within 3 years
20%-25% progress to AIDS in 6-7 years
Less than 5% remain asymptomatic for more than 10 years
2% remain asymptomatic for more than 12 years.

All the above data suggests that the progression of HIV infected to AIDS varies in different individuals.
Progression also depends on viral load of HIV in blood.

In your case, I am suspecting paranoia regarding exposure to HIV.
I suggest a round of counseling to alleviate your anxiety.

Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Roopa Hiremath 20 hours later
I understand u may suspect paranoia but all my sysptoms are apparent u can see them there's no way around all my sysptoms that I'm having especially the rashes that I have now under my foot and it looks now like they are starting to grow on the palms of my hands I'm am terrified of taking another test cause I think it will come back positive
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Further evaluation is required

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr.XXXX,

Please do not take me in a wrong way but you have to get yourself examined and tested to get further medical help.

Online I can just try to explain your symptoms and give appropriate advice based on what you are sharing with us.

Further caution has to be taken from your side by approaching an appropriate doctor near you, who can examine and treat you.

Thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Roopa Hiremath 3 hours later
I have been examined by my doctor plenty of times and all my tests came back negative there has to be a reason for all my symptoms can I indeed have all of these symptoms happening at the same time and be indeed hiv negative including rashes on hands and foot that is my biggest question and thank for being patient with me because I just wanna know the root cause for all of these symptoms and it's scaring me more now cause I'm girlfriend is now 5 months pregnant all her tests came back negative. I feel that this tests are in accurate cause we been together for over two years but I'm testing positive for hsv1 and she's testing how can that be we been having unprotected sex for more than 2 years she should of tested positive for hsv1 by now and she's having all of the same symptoms as me now can u explain this please
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
HIV tests available are sensitive enough

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr. XXXX,
Welcome back.

The tests available for HIV testing are very sensitive and specific because to announce as someone as HIV positive involves many ethical, legal and moral issues.

So the tests manufactured undergo strict quality control and maintenance.

Coming to HSV1 - its is Herpes Simplex Virus type 1, this virus is not transmitted sexually.

It spreads by contact and fomites like sharing towels and direct contact with the lesions.

Your smoking marijuana is definitely taking a toll on you. You are suspecting everything and everyone!!!

Effects of marijuana smoking are listed below:
Rapid heart rate, Increased blood pressure, Increased rate of breathing, Red eyes, Dry mouth, Increased appetite, Paranoia, Anxiety, Depression, and High Risk for Lung Cancer.

I would suggest quitting smoking and developing a positive attitude for future life.

Thanks.