Had unprotected sex after period. Missing period. Chances of pregnancy?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Question: Good Afternoon. My height is 5'4 and weight is 88. I have stated doing regular exercise and dance from last one month. Me and my boyfriend came close for three days in December 25, 26, and 27 after my periods which got over in December 20. We did not intercourse but our physical organs did touched and he ejaculated but not in me. I was suppose to get periods on January 14 but it has not started yet. Can you tell me as there any possibility of my pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 42 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing to us. I have gone through your history in details.

According to your height & weight, it seems to me that you have grade 1 obesity.

Here I can explain your query as follows:

Pregnancy depends on proper timing of ovulation and unprotected sex. According to your expected period due date (as on 14 January), you probably ovulated around 31 December and fertile days were 29 Dec to 2 January. You were involved in sexual activity for 3 consecutive days, closed to fertile days. As your boyfriend did not intercourse or ejaculate inside vagina, the chances of pregnancy is almost nil (by touching physical organs only).

Possible reasons for delayed period are ovarian cyst, stress/ anxiety, hormonal imbalance, irregular eating habit, hypothyroidism (you take medicine for that), psychological factors, overweight (you already have) or extreme weight loss etc.

The possibilities can be narrowed by means of tests such as Ultrasound (USG) lower abdomen, LH / FSH level, blood estrogen & progesterone levels, Lipid profile and blood sugar (FBS & PPBS).

Therefore, you consult with a gynecologist who can help you in guide through the tests after a physical examination and suggest proper medication.

The following measures may be helpful:

1) Try to Avoid stress by yoga/deep breathing regularly (20-30 times).
2) Take healthy diet with avoidance of high calorie diet/ fatty foodstuff.
3) Drink plenty of fluids/water and eat leafy vegetables & fresh fruits.
4) Continue regular physical exercise and weight reduction is the mainstay of treatment.
5) Maintain personal hygiene and continue taking thyroid tabs.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & practice safe sex in future.

Dr Soumen.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E